Ultimate Subaru Message Board

replacing clutch, anything else?

Fellers,

I am having my clutch replaced on my '97 OBW (242k miles) by Sweeney subaru in northern Cincinnati next week and wondered if there might be any other items that should be given attention being that they are in there already. Anyone have suggetions?

thanks

Tdog

Fellers,

I am having my clutch replaced on my '97 OBW (242k miles) by Sweeney subaru in northern Cincinnati next week and wondered if there might be any other items that should be given attention being that they are in there already. Anyone have suggetions?

thanks

Tdog

Make sure they resurface the flywheel, and have them check the ball joints, CV boots and steering rack boots. The clutch is replaced by dropping the tranny so there is not a whole lot exposed, unless they find a leak somewhere (rare). Oh, and have them check out (and top off) the clutch master cyl, and slave cyl, just to be sure. The back of the engine does not have a lot to be worried about. Most of that is on the front where it is easy to get at.

While they have the flywheel out for resurfacing, ask them to replace the rear main seal - it is cheap and worth it. If the oil separator plate is plastic, have them replace it with an aluminum one. The clips on release lever are cheap and won't hurt replacing them either.

A good clutch job should at least consist of replacing the pilot bearing, replace the throw out bearing & clips, resurface the pressure plate, check the release fork for cracks (replace if needed) proper lube on reassembly also check the slave cylinder.

Let me know how it goes.

Mike

Fellers,

thanks

Tdog

When I had the clutch replaced on my 96 Legacy the dealership (Lansing MI) replaced every engine seal they could get to at cost. No add'l labor, since they had it all taken apart anyway. The mechanic had a fondness for 2.2L engines and said I should get another 120k out of it, no problem.