Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

98 Outback problems

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 wayneb

wayneb

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Port Tobacco, MD

Posted 23 March 2005 - 05:04 PM

Hi all;

My wife has a 98 outback wagon with 140k miles that overheated yesterday.
I initially thought it was the thermostat and still do. The problem I'm having I think is bleeding all the air out of the system. Is there a trick to this?? The reason I think it's air lock is I flushed the cooling system with out stat and engine did not overheat but with stat in it does.

Otherwise I'm dealing with a leaking head gasket and from researching this forum it sounds like only way to replace is pulling engine is this true?

Thanks in advance;

WayneB

#2 Cougar

Cougar

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 6,342 posts
  • Anchorage

Posted 23 March 2005 - 05:16 PM

I would see what happens when a new thermostat is installed. If that doesn't help then I would have a block check done to see if exhaust gases are getting into the coolant.

From what I understand the gaskets can be replaced with the engine in place but it is a lot harder job to do that way.

#3 ndsnewleg

ndsnewleg

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Denver

Posted 23 March 2005 - 08:08 PM

There is definitely a trick to it and it will overheat if you don't do it right. The Haynes manual tells you how to do it step by step. If you do a search you might find the instructions on this site. I've done it several times but I don't remember the procedure from one time to the next. If you bought an oem stat it is likely good.

#4 frag

frag

Soob shade tree mechanic

• Members
  • 1,777 posts
  • Montréal, Québec, Can.

Posted 24 March 2005 - 10:54 AM

There is definitely a trick to it and it will overheat if you don't do it right. The Haynes manual tells you how to do it step by step. If you do a search you might find the instructions on this site. I've done it several times but I don't remember the procedure from one time to the next. If you bought an oem stat it is likely good.

But if you bought an aftermarket one, it's likely part of the problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users