Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anyone ever import a car from the US to Canada?

I was looking at the prices of a WRX wagon and I was stunned how high they are. They start at $35,495 Cdn.

http://www.subaru.ca/interface/Subaru02/LoanCalcModel02.asp?range=Impreza&ModelYear=2005&WebPageID=5340&OwnerID=&WebSiteID=282

At todays exchange rate ($0.83) that's $29,460 US.

However you go to the American site and the same car is only $24,395 US ($29,391 Cdn). That's a $6100 Cdn difference.

http://www.subaru.com/shop/model_consideration.jsp?model=IMPREZA

It likely made sense back when the Canadian dollar was 63 cents US but it's been over 80 cents now for a couple years and they should have updated the prices by now.

I was just wondering if anyone had done it and how much paperwork and duty is involved.

Most countries (and I have to believe Canada is one) hits you with a HEFTY import duty. If you buy a 'used' car you typically avoid this. Don't know how they define used, dealer demo, maybe?

Check specs, they may be different in Canada. Buy one down here, I'll drive it to you, heh, heh, heh.

Nothing is free, our taxes are quite a bit higher then yours

That was my point. I agree 100% WITH YOU. If "you" get all the "freebees" you're going to pay a huge import tarrif for a SUBARU along with every other tax someone can think of. I don't see anyway around it. Plus you'll probably have to meet more stingent air pollution requirements.

That was my point. I agree 100% WITH YOU. If "you" get all the "freebees" you're going to pay a huge import tarrif for a SUBARU along with every other tax someone can think of. I don't see anyway around it. Plus you'll probably have to meet more stingent air pollution requirements.

Actually I was referring to income tax, there are no tariffs on cars imported from the states and I don't know of any on imports from Japan these days either. Health care is primary paid for by the provincial governments and is part of our provincial income tax bill. Trade tariffs are federal.

Canadian air pollution requirements are the same as the 49 state requirements in the US. There are groups that are pushing for California emmisions standards here too though.

This is getting boring .... and I still don't have a WRX :(

maybe you should talk to somebody who has actually done it... like me!!!:brow:

ok here is were i will start off... ITS NOT WORTH IT!!!

i did it for my lovely 79 brat... and i am still paying the price... maybe it will be different for a new car but this was my experiance....

first off... you do ahve to pay duty... you ALWAYS have to pay duty... the free trade that we got going with the US is a bunch of anal poo...

for my car($1100 american) i payed $120 or some # like that in duty... now remember that was for a $1100 car... could you imagine it for a $30,000 one???

i'll tell you what it would be... about $3300 in duty... (assuming its a % thing which i am sure it is... i believe its around 6%... and don't forget you still have to pay(canadian) tax on top of that because something is being sold to you...)

next on my list... having AC cost money... 100 bucks or something... i had to argue a little at the boarder because my car says AC on the consol but there isn't any...

now here comes the FUN part... to drive the car into the Canada you need some canadian insurance... and can you guess what you need to get canadian insurance(even a day permit or something)??? you need it to be registered in Canada... and guess what! you can't get it registered in Canada until it is IN CANADA!!!

so what does that leave you??? you need a trailer... And NO... you cannot use a dolly that just lifts up the front wheels... not only does it fubar the AWD but it is also illegal!!!(in Canada of course...)

you need to once again have to have canadian insurance on the car before using the dolly... ok so that leaves you with one option... a full auto-hauler trailer... now they don't cost much to rent(50 bucks) but finding a suitible vihicle that can haul 5000+lbs is a little harder... unless you got like a big pick-up... our isuzu had a tough time doing it with my brat... hasn't run quite right ever sinse...:rolleyes:

So now you have it in Canada... now what? well you have to get it inspected...

and there are 2 inspections you have to go through... provincial VI(vihicle inspection) and federal VI... both of which can be done at crappy tire... i think 80 bucks or something... a new WRX will pass obviously...79 brat might be a little tougher in my case...(FYI... i have had the car for over a year and that is the step i am at now...YAY!!!)

and once you got all the done... you can treat it as a real Canadian car...(aircare of course!)

now once you break it all down... your still saving a couple grand... and maybe since it is a new car you can pinch some of the rules that i had to follow...

But its a HUGE hassle... its up to you if you think it is worth it...

maybe you should talk to somebody who has actually done it... like me!!!:brow:

ok here is were i will start off... ITS NOT WORTH IT!!!

i did it for my lovely 79 brat... and i am still paying the price... maybe it will be different for a new car but this was my experiance....

first off... you do ahve to pay duty... you ALWAYS have to pay duty... the free trade that we got going with the US is a bunch of anal poo...

for my car($1100 american) i payed $120 or some # like that in duty... now remember that was for a $1100 car... could you imagine it for a $30,000 one???

i'll tell you what it would be... about $3300 in duty... (assuming its a % thing which i am sure it is... i believe its around 6%... and don't forget you still have to pay(canadian) tax on top of that because something is being sold to you...)

next on my list... having AC cost money... 100 bucks or something... i had to argue a little at the boarder because my car says AC on the consol but there isn't any...

now here comes the FUN part... to drive the car into the Canada you need some canadian insurance... and can you guess what you need to get canadian insurance(even a day permit or something)??? you need it to be registered in Canada... and guess what! you can't get it registered in Canada until it is IN CANADA!!!

so what does that leave you??? you need a trailer... And NO... you cannot use a dolly that just lifts up the front wheels... not only does it fubar the AWD but it is also illegal!!!(in Canada of course...)

you need to once again have to have canadian insurance on the car before using the dolly... ok so that leaves you with one option... a full auto-hauler trailer... now they don't cost much to rent(50 bucks) but finding a suitible vihicle that can haul 5000+lbs is a little harder... unless you got like a big pick-up... our isuzu had a tough time doing it with my brat... hasn't run quite right ever sinse...:rolleyes:

So now you have it in Canada... now what? well you have to get it inspected...

and there are 2 inspections you have to go through... provincial VI(vihicle inspection) and federal VI... both of which can be done at crappy tire... i think 80 bucks or something... a new WRX will pass obviously...79 brat might be a little tougher in my case...(FYI... i have had the car for over a year and that is the step i am at now...YAY!!!)

and once you got all the done... you can treat it as a real Canadian car...(aircare of course!)

now once you break it all down... your still saving a couple grand... and maybe since it is a new car you can pinch some of the rules that i had to follow...

But its a HUGE hassle... its up to you if you think it is worth it...

Thanks Greg;

Your experience corresponds to others that I have talked to. Basically the common thought is unless it's a car that you just must have and you just can't find it here in Canada, don't bother.

Your experience corresponds to others that I have talked to. Basically the common thought is unless it's a car that you just must have and you just can't find it here in Canada, don't bother.

now you got it! haha... i could have just said that and saved myself a bunch of typing...

indeed you it would be far better to get it in Canada... then you won't hate it for being such a b*tch to get... but i love my car...:D:banghead: