Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello, my wife's 93 Subaru Impreza /w automatic trans. will not start. Full fuel tank, gear shift is in park, good battery. I get lights the whole nine yards. It's just when I turn the key, to start it I get nothing. I have noticed the power light comes on. Could that have something to do with it? If so what?. I am thinking a problem with the starter. I am at my wit's end.

I believe the power light is something related to the transmission. I think its supposed to come on when you press the gas hard and the tranny goes into power mode (higher shift points)

Could be possible that something with the transmission is bad causing the car not to realize its in park or neutral and therefore locking out the starter for safety.

The new gen forum may know more about this car. A moderator will probably end up moving this...

Thanks for the help. I'm having my dad help me with it today. Any other advice is very much appreciated.

I believe the power light is something related to the transmission. I think its supposed to come on when you press the gas hard and the tranny goes into power mode (higher shift points)

Could be possible that something with the transmission is bad causing the car not to realize its in park or neutral and therefore locking out the starter for safety.

The new gen forum may know more about this car. A moderator will probably end up moving this...

did anything happen prior to this, any work done to the car? if so i would suspect the following: check the fusible links under the hood. should be in a little rectangular black box close to the battery with a lid on it. remove the lid and see if they are all intact. there is one that will blow that will break the starter circuit but retain power everywhere else in the car.

when you turn the key you get nothing? no click? sounds like the solenoid in the starter is bad. sourcing parts is tricky with subaru's but you can replace the starter solenoid if you can find it. otherwise you'll have to buy the entire starter assembly which will have a new solenoid attached to it.

if you suspect the actual starter (particularly if you hear a click which indicates the solenoid is functioning properly) give the starter case a couple good hits with a hammer (you're not trying to break it), hitting various locations on the case.

autozone/advanced auto parts will test your starter for free if you take it to them.

before messing with your starter do a quick power supply check.

contacts have to be good. check battery terminals, clean and tight. check battery. try to jump the car. i know you have power and lights but i've seen a car with what appears to be good power start right up with a jump.

your ignition switch (in the steering column) could be bad or you could have a bad ground wire somewhere but i wouldn't persue these until you rule out the starter and battery/connections.