Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Trails database

RavenTBK

Someone on another offroad forum I'm a member of suggested something like this. Making a large database/forum where folks can post trail info.. like where it is (GPS coordinates/directions and such), how difficult, etc etc etc.

So I decided to throw something together.

http://ntdb.fjeer.us

I've got several levels of security, which lets "verified" users post/read info on trailsites that us (as an offroad group) wouldnt want joe redneck public to have access to, while letting everything else remain accessible to the public. Also theres some hidden forums dedicated to USMB specific trail info..

I dunno.. its just a quick idea at this point.

My goal is to allow users to post info, but keeping it organized and easily used by others and eventually building a database with maps of public trails... so we all can go explore new trails tht we probably didnt know existed in our backyard.

Thoughts?

arizona has a huge database of trails on the arizona 4wd association's web page. i think that's what it was. hell, for the yuma area i got a ton of gps coordinates for trails. but their are some trails i won't link from that area cause they are on the verge of being shut down.

arizona has a huge database of trails on the arizona 4wd association's web page. i think that's what it was. hell, for the yuma area i got a ton of gps coordinates for trails. but their are some trails i won't link from that area cause they are on the verge of being shut down.

And that's the real problem with this :( People posting illegal or soon to be illegal trails. Someone's gotta maintain that data, verify it, and update it as necessary.

Read: full time job :(

On one hand, theres nothing wrong with posting "illegal" trails. Its good to know for those of us (like me) that will gently ride in restricted areas to clean up from bubba's party last week. Its also good to know that folks need to stay away from their old spot that they havent been to in months.

Thats why I've got multiple levels.. hidden forums where "private" and/or "itstoonicetomakepublic" trails.. where only users that are verified as a non-risk can have access to. I've still gotta select a couple more trustworthy mods that can assist with "load distribution".. so its not a complete full time job for me.. but more of less a large part time job. :)

Its still empty.. but the guys over on FSB are latching on, and I expect new trail coordinates/directions to be posted all over the "Dixie" region soon. Since most of USMB resides up on the opposite corner of the nation, USMB can fill up that section. :) So when I ever win the lottery and drive my Brat up thatways for Mudrat to affix a gnarly bumper, I'll have a listing of places to ride. :)

If you like the idea.. pass it on and post up. :) If you've got coordinates/directions to a place that needs to stay private and/or is closed, you can PM me on there and I'll place them in the appropriate hidden child forum. :)

I know the feeling that most of you have experienced trying to find trails. Everybody online is either too stingy to share their good spots, or not feeling like posting coordinates/directions because "everybody" in the area already knows. Well, this is my attempt to solve this problem, by letting everybody know where all the public spots are, and by allowing those folks in each group to keep their "secret trails" a secret within their group.

Lets ride.. (well, after I finish my month-long clutch job today! :D)

it's not that those trails are illegal or about to. but the fact there's certain areas you don't want to red flag to environmentalists. i've had conversations with people about why not put a large database up for trails?? but what some of it boils down to is not straight up stinginess. there's places in washington i'll take anyone out to. but they are places of sensativity, that environmentalist can flag and shut down in a heart beat. there's too many of them up in that state trying to shut offhighway vehicle areas down. as for arizona. as soon as i replace the tranny i'll load a bunch of trails up. cause you can drive almost anywhere. or at least in any navigatible wash. that is what the BLM instructed me.

Jared

hey posted some areas in the greater yuma area. i'll post a butt load more when i get the car driving again. and i can clock the gps coordinates for some of the washes and ridge line trails.

hey i wouldn't mind be a moderator for the southwest, west coast and pacific northwest. that's where i do most all of my wheeling. and also would like access to that other forum... :) but i can try to help a little with those regions.

what do you mean by what the blm instructed you? i am real interested in land use. is a drivable wash open for driving?

arizona... the BLM is Bureau of Land Managment. granted that's only in arizona i guess. there's no place in washington like that. as for what a wash is. its essentially in the desert there's a bunch of flood planes and valleys and all that good stuff. the reason they get called washes out here. is when it rains it floods and washes all sorts of sands and stuff in and through the valleys. basically a valley or gulley where lots... i don't know i'd have to show you. it's a desert thing.

hey i wouldn't mind be a moderator for the southwest, west coast and pacific northwest. that's where i do most all of my wheeling. and also would like access to that other forum... :) but i can try to help a little with those regions.
You got it. I know I can use all the help I can get once this thing takes off.. :)

arizona... the BLM is Bureau of Land Managment. granted that's only in arizona i guess. there's no place in washington like that. as for what a wash is. its essentially in the desert there's a bunch of flood planes and valleys and all that good stuff. the reason they get called washes out here. is when it rains it floods and washes all sorts of sands and stuff in and through the valleys. basically a valley or gulley where lots... i don't know i'd have to show you. it's a desert thing.

no no, i know what the blm is, im in CO. it's not just in AZ, blm is part of the dept of the interior. i'm asking who gave you this info? are you saying that washes on blm land are fair game? really there's usually no restrictions on most blm land you can drive anywhere as i understand it (although it's not nessissarily ethical). so what is differant about a wash in the eyes of the blm. there are plenty of restricted areas (for wildlife or geology) on blm land where it is posted you must stay on trails. i wonder then if washes in these areas are concidered trails? i guess i'm asking you to clarify what you meant.

i know the blm isn't just arizona. most all of the offroad parks in washington are blm or forest service. but i know you aren't supposed to detour or make bypasses on blm land in washington. you stay on designated trails.

at the carnival in yuma i was talking to the BLM personnel at their booth, to get clarification of where i can 4x4 at. and the definition is any navigatable wash that's not in a wildlife preserve or otherwise posted to keep out. basically the washes are rocky or sandy valleys or flood planes in the desert. which not a lot really grows there. let alone live there. flash flooding fills and tears through the washes. that's how i was told it's written in the blm laws for this area. not for colorado or any other state. it's Arizona. all other states that i know of, if it's not marked as an open area 4x4ing area, it's a huge no-no to detour from the trail. that's how stuff get s closed down.

you mind if i start posting this on the snort board, and possibly the pirate board. granted they ain't too popular here on this board...

Go right ahead. The more people that know about it, the more people will post, which will bring more people in for all the extra info.. :)