Ultimate Subaru Message Board

need to know how to put a xt6 engine in my 85 brat

ducktapetim777

hey im only 16 but i owned subarus sents i have been 14, im new here, i have a 85 brat and a 84 gl hatchback and 92 svx and more, and i need to know how to put a xt6 engine in my 85 brat. but i have heard the xt6 engine will bolt up to the trany of the brat. but i think there is alot more to it, so if anyone knows or has any tips about my project plez feel free to post them thanks

Tim

its a bolt on project, as far as the tranny to motor goes...

but you have to cut out the top and lower radiator supports, so the front of the motor fits. then you have to re enforce the unibody, i used a big steel bumper, and a strut tower brace.

radiator is the biggest problem.

its got lotsa torque, but... its lotsa work.

makes everyone look your way when you floor it.

oh, and i break alot more stuff now. :drunk:

• 2 weeks later...

Is this going to be a lifted rig, or stock height? Thats makes a bit of difference. I've got my motor sitting in the stock height location of a lifted rig, it's definatly a snug fit. You will need to clearence the frame a rails some towards the rear, cause the motor is alot wider than the stock one.

As far as the wireing goes, it is best to get the whole harness from a donor car along with the motor and computer. The computer is located under the rear deck, so thats why you want to whole thing. Then just follow the plugs from the computer and cut off anything that isn't connected. Then with a good wireing diagram you can start omitting stuff that isn't need for the computer (like the controls for the electronic power steering.) Connect power and ground the system, run the wires to where you want to computer to be located. Then you will need to new fuel pump, this is FI, so you need high pressure. I reccomend running a new supply line, the old supply line will work for the return.

You can get creative on your own for the cooling. I made a new front end for my Brat, so I just pushed it out a few inches, and put the radiator up front, some have put the rad on top of the motor, or you could put it in the bed, but that requires a lot of plumbing. Here's a pic of my setup:

31brat-med.jpg

Lots of luck to ya, and when ya get it done, it will be tonnes of fun!!

I am almost done putting one in a stock 84 wagon, you will need to get rid of the hill holder valve and make some sort of new mount for the engine due to the mounts being a little an inch farther forward and a little wider. Mine I am putting the radiator on the top of the engine and going to run a megasquirt computer. Also the top core support will need to be cut out and the lower needs to be "clearenced for the filter and pressure sender.

Matt