Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey guys,

First post in new forum.. but a new problem to go with it. I recently moved back to school.. had a very large load in my car, nothing was left empty in my 94 legacy.. well the load was in the car for the entire trip as well as a few extra days for packin etc.. well while the load was in the car, and now after it has no load it makes a very loud whooooooaaaahhhhhhh sound coming from the rear passenger side of the car.. it doesnt happen everytime however it is very loud and "echoey" i just did a entire brake job but i dont see why that would have anything to do with this.. maybe something happened that i have no idea about.. but it seems to be isolated to the rear right.. please any help would be appreciated..

thanks in advance.

Ali

If your problem is a rear wheel bearing, you should be able to confirm it using this method. You seem to already know that its coming from one side of the car. What I've done in the past was to find a deserted stretch of road where, at medium speed, I was able to swerve the car from one side of the road to the other. In my case, the one rear wheel had a medium howl while swerving (turning) to the right, a lower howl while swerving left, and no noticeable sounds at all while travelling straight ahead. The mechanic used a stethoscope on the rear wheel and determined for sure that the bearing was gone in that wheel. If your noise is as described under the same conditions, I'll bet on the wheel bearing. If not, then you had better look elsewhere for the problem. Hope this helps!

Hey,

Never thought about a rear wheel bearing.. i know its not the tires cuse there less then 400 miles old.. but just outa curousity how much would it be to fix or replace the bearing.. i am already worried.. but like you mentioned,.. i listened while turning no sounds at all.. just havent done it on a higher speed on an empty road..

thanks again for the help

Ali