Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Forester suspension on OBS

dklein90

I don't know that they make springs for an impreza. I think they tend to put forester or outback struts on the imprezas.

I think the Scorpion springs would be taller than the OB springs, but I think too tall. No kinda down travel and a super stiff ride.

How does this mod effect the handleing of the OBS? I dont want something that will wonder all over the rroad and ride like a truck.

I would want tires a little larger than staock, and more agresive. Some sort of all terrain tire similar to BF Goodrich All terrains.

would it be smarter and more cost efective to put in a body lift rather than changing to outback or forester struts? How about some pros and cons.

-Dave

the forester struts I put on my impreza wagon, make it ride like a forester!

now you can run a 26.6" OD tire... look at Zap's OBS tires on the XT6 wheels! those are beefy :headbang:

my setup-

forester strut and spring set, front strut assemblys install directly onto impreza, rears need to have the strut top changed to the impreza top (the spacing of the 3 bolts is different)

install and align!

How does this mod effect the handleing of the OBS? I dont want something that will wonder all over the rroad and ride like a truck.

I would want tires a little larger than staock, and more agresive. Some sort of all terrain tire similar to BF Goodrich All terrains.

would it be smarter and more cost efective to put in a body lift rather than changing to outback or forester struts? How about some pros and cons.

-Dave

Dude.

What would you expect your impreza to handle like if you lift it and put truck tires on it? BF Goodrich ATs don't come in a 195/60/15. They come in tall sizes. Why would it wander all over the road because you put Forester struts and shocks on it? Are your ball joints bad or something? Did you know that the forester is built on the impreza chassis?

Would it be more cost effective to put a body lift on it? Have you looked into body lifts for the impreza? Do you have any idea what either costs? Have you made any calls to a parts dealer, new or used, to look into the price of struts and shocks?

Do you do any of your own research or is this forum just "ask Jeeves" to you?

Not trying to be harsh, but come on.

Thanks for the input Zapar

Just so you know, I do my own research into things. Ive looked into Scorpion and BYB lifts, as well as others that have been posted on this board. Im always a little leary of folks that want me to buy their product. Lets face it they are in the business of selling us their stuff.

When I go into a project like lifting a vehicle, I want to know all that I can about all the posibilities. It sucks to put in an expensive lift then find out later that what you really wanted was something else.

So to get these answers, I go to the experts. Those that have done these mods to their own vehicle. They can give me unbiased info on the things that I can expect.

I have gotten realy good information from this board and it has helped me make some of my decisions.

I apologize if I have offended anyone.

-Dave

Whats up Dave. First off I want to say that the Outback sport is a sweet car, they never fail to amaze me. I just bought my second about 3 months ago and am currently in the process of turning it into a off road machine. For my car I got struts from a 98 outback and I went with a 3" hi-rise subaru.

http://www.funonwheels.net/hirisesubaru/pages/mylift.htm It was something like $490-$550 USD for the kit and to have it shiped from Australia! Email Dave at hi-rise and he will hook you up with all the details.This set up should give your OBS a great overall lift with more ground clearence and more suspension and will also make room for a larger more agressive tire, I went with 27". Unfortunatly I don't have any photos of my car to show you but I do have a photo that is pretty much exactly what my car looks like. This guy went with a little bit differnt set up but it is pretty much my same car right down to the color. And if you want to find out more about it or see some more pictures check out his site

http://home.att.net/~rsmash/

Well hope all this helps you out keep us updated on how your project goes and lets see some pictures of that car. See ya on the Trails

Kyle

97sube.gif