Ultimate Subaru Message Board

First Time Subaru Buyer Questions

Greets All,

I might be becoming a Subaru owner and I have a few general questions, I hope this is the right spot. I am looking at a dirt cheap '92 Wagon. I don't know any details except it is rusty but advertised as runs great. It is a 5 spd which is a HUGE plus. Anyway I will find out tonight if it is a Legacy or a Loyale. I am just wondering what I should look for? Common trouble areas? I am just looking for something to be a commuter car as the other 4 street cars I own all have V-8's and none get better than 20 MPG. But I would also be interested in basic performance mods, I have not been able to find performance parts for either the 1.8L or the 2.2L are there chips, underdrive pulleys, cold air intakes etc out there for these cars? It seems even finding basic info on Subaru's this old is hard, any pointers to early 90's specific Subaru's would be appreciated as well.

I will post more specific info on the car after I look at it tonight.

Thanks,

-Joe

First of all Welcome to the board, you've come to the right place.. The rust can be an issue depending on where it is and how bad it is.. Once you get specs on the car (engine type, etc.) I'm sure some of the veterans in here can more than answer your questions. I hope you have good luck with getting a soobie and enjoy it as much as we all enjoy ours!

The 1st generation Legacy's are good cars, the 2.2L is very dependable. I would check the timing belt, and also check the front seals, they are known to develop leaks. Other common problems might be the coolant temp. sensor and the knock sensor if it hasn't already been replaced, been known to crack. Neither of these sensors are very expensive so it isn't that big of a deal. I would check out Legacy777 website on info on how to pull the codes from the computer. He has also done a few mods to his engine (underdrive pulley, ignition, flywheel etc.). I wouldn't recommend a cold air intake, you can modify the stock air box and save yourself some headaches. Some people have added turbos and superchargers to the NA 2.2, have to be careful though the engine really wasn't designed for this though.Good Luck!

Couldn't get a hold of the guy today, talked to his wife but she didn't know anything about the car, guy had the car at work and was supposed to call when he got home but no dice. Will try again tomorrow. Hopefully it runs good enough to over look any rust issues...besides rusty spots make the car lighter and faster right? How much spray do you think the 2.2 can take before grenading? 75 shot? 100 shot? Is there even a kit for these? I would assume it would bolt in between the intake and TB? I've never ran nitrous in a FI car...

Thanks,

-Joe