Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

mileage has dropped

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 treeman

treeman

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Houston

Posted 29 May 2005 - 08:42 AM

On my Y2K OBW, the mileage has dropped consistently. I was getting 22-23 mpg. for around the City street/freeway driving. The last 3 tanks, it's been 20.
The CEL has never come on, except like it's supposed to at start-up. With 82500 on the odometer, could the mileage drop be the sign of an O2 sensor going bad?
Other than changing them out and running for a month or so, is there any way to tell if one or both are getting weak?

Bradford

#2 Scoobaroo

Scoobaroo

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 08:50 AM

With 82k miles, the O2 sensor(s) are probably lazy.

They practically have to be flatline dead before they'll set a code.
I read somewhere that they really only operate at peak performance for around 30k miles.

You need a scan tool with data stream monitoring in order to view their performance in real time.
Their voltage should fluctuate fairly rapidly between .2 and .9 volts, I think.
Most volt meters aren't suitable for reading rapid fluctuations in O2 sensor voltage.

#3 gbhrps

gbhrps

User Awaiting Email Confirmation

• Members
  • 804 posts
  • canada

Posted 29 May 2005 - 10:18 AM

Treeman,

With the age of your ride I would first look for the obvious things that can kill mileage, dragging brake caliper, soft tires, plugged air filter, old spark plugs, valve toerances off, etc. You may be surprised at what you do, or do not find. Just a thought.

#4 treeman

treeman

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Houston

Posted 29 May 2005 - 07:28 PM

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I did check everything you suggested, and more. I have been very concious of maintanence since day one. Except the valve clearances..

I guess I have no idea how to do this. I thought that 2.5 engines were hydraulic lifters and required no periodic adjustments. Where do I look, and what do I check?

B

Treeman,

With the age of your ride I would first look for the obvious things that can kill mileage, dragging brake caliper, soft tires, plugged air filter, old spark plugs, valve toerances off, etc. You may be surprised at what you do, or do not find. Just a thought.

#5 Commuter

Commuter

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,857 posts
  • Niagara area, Ont Canada

Posted 30 May 2005 - 04:55 PM

You are getting to the age where the O2 probably is "lazy" as Scoobaroo indicated. At around 6 or 7 years, I changed mine out. Mileage was not really off, but I was becoming convined that it was causing a carbon issue with my engine (97 OB). Never had a CEL. The tech told me that it was cycling about 13 times/minute. They are use to seeing around 18. I changed it out and my carbon issue cleared up. As these things age, they do cause the mixture to run towards rich.

There was significant discussion a couple years back on O2 sensors. Several people with cars around the 5-8 yr mark indicated that a new sensor made an appreciable improvement.

Commuter

#6 gbhrps

gbhrps

User Awaiting Email Confirmation

• Members
  • 804 posts
  • canada

Posted 30 May 2005 - 07:49 PM

Treeman,

I can't help you with the valve clearance issue, since I'm not sure if they're hydraulic, adjustable with guages, or adjustable with shims. Here's hoping someone with that knowledge jumps in on the thread!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users