Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 2001 Outback Rocky Mountain Edition with 46,000 miles on it. The interior panel on the rear hatch was the first to go. A couple clips broke and it hung in there for a while but eventually turned out to be a lost cause. Now, the driver side door panel is loose at the bottom outside corner. I noticed that one today when I closed the door.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Is there an easier solution than going to the dealer and having them over-charge me for it?

thanks for the help!

Georgefdg,

I've not had your problem, but I have pulled my share of panels from various cars over the years, to repair speakers, rear wiper motors, etc. The Subie panel clips are readily available at auto parts stores. Just take one of yours with you in order to get the correct size. Yes, you will have to learn how to get intimate with the panels in question and how they come off, but with patience you can do the work yourself. Just search the various threads for panel removal of the front doors ( for repairing glass or door speakers) and the rear hatch (rear wiper motor repairs), in order to find the correct procedures. They are not difficult, and just get easier the next time you have to remove one. Good Luck!

gbhrps,

thanks for the help. The rear panel is actually broken where some of the clips should be holding it so I'll be looking for a new one of those.

The door panel was easy. The broken clip was easy to get to and now I'm off to the parts store today.

cheers

george

George...i have the same problem with the rear hatch. I work out of my suby and once in a while I will find the rear plastic 'hanging'. I think it could be fixed with some new yellow snap thingies the dealer sells, but I am too lazy and just whack it back into place. Hope you fix your problems.

Or for cruder work stainless steel screws with the little adapter head commonly used on autos.

I once added more clips to the rear of a Volvo by drilling a few more holes. After a few years I had to fix a light and had trouble getting the panel off because I had forgotten the clips I had added. At least you can see the stainless steel screws and they are very easy to remove.