Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

head gasket or thermostat

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 subGSR

subGSR

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 240 posts
  • waikaia southland NZ

Posted 28 June 2005 - 07:53 PM

The GSR is loosing water. Oil is ok and the car is going good except when you stop at the traffic lights and it will blow out water if you have waited to long.While waiting the car over heated and siezed from being to hot. After about two hours it went again ok. Hope it isnt a cracked head. With the radiater cap off while it was idling water over flowed out the cap. I am hoping it is only the thermostat. Your thoughts on this problem please.

#2 operose

operose

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,264 posts
  • Potsdam

Posted 28 June 2005 - 08:27 PM

The GSR is loosing water. Oil is ok and the car is going good except when you stop at the traffic lights and it will blow out water if you have waited to long.While waiting the car over heated and siezed from being to hot. After about two hours it went again ok. Hope it isnt a cracked head. With the radiater cap off while it was idling water over flowed out the cap. I am hoping it is only the thermostat. Your thoughts on this problem please.

you say it's losing water.... any clues where it's losing it to? does it look like there's a visible leak somewhere, or could it be going into the engine?

#3 moosens

moosens

Psychotic Subathusiast

• Members
  • 1,310 posts
  • Bridgeport CT

Posted 28 June 2005 - 08:44 PM

Sounds like my old 1400 DL....thermostat first.

#4 subGSR

subGSR

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 240 posts
  • waikaia southland NZ

Posted 29 June 2005 - 12:04 AM

I think its loosing water through the radiator cap when it gets pressurised as it gets hot and will just spill out the overflow onto the road.

you say it's losing water.... any clues where it's losing it to? does it look like there's a visible leak somewhere, or could it be going into the engine?

#5 moosens

moosens

Psychotic Subathusiast

• Members
  • 1,310 posts
  • Bridgeport CT

Posted 29 June 2005 - 05:21 PM

The water pump is turning,right?

#6 subGSR

subGSR

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 240 posts
  • waikaia southland NZ

Posted 29 June 2005 - 07:11 PM

I hope so. I will check it as well,thanks.

The water pump is turning,right?

#7 Ross

Ross

Can't be bothered

• Members
  • 1,865 posts
  • Christchurch, New Zealand

Posted 29 June 2005 - 07:38 PM

Does the water in the radiator bubble with the engine on?

#8 NorthWet

NorthWet

Eeyore Incarnate

• Members
  • 5,039 posts
  • Bremerton, WA

Posted 29 June 2005 - 08:36 PM

Assuming it has an electric fan, is the electric fan turning on?

#9 subGSR

subGSR

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 240 posts
  • waikaia southland NZ

Posted 30 June 2005 - 11:02 PM

We found a wire off for the fan. We took the thermostat out,checked the water pump and it is still overflowing out the top and the water is not bubbly when the engine is going. It seems to build up back pressure somewhere and just flows out the cap. I havent heard this happening before for blown head gaskets has anyone else. Maybe a cracked head?.

Assuming it has an electric fan, is the electric fan turning on?

#10 Ross

Ross

Can't be bothered

• Members
  • 1,865 posts
  • Christchurch, New Zealand

Posted 01 July 2005 - 12:42 AM

Strange. Usually a head/HG prob will make the water bubble.

So, if I understand correctly, as soon as you start the engine, the coolant flows out of the rad cap?
Will it just keep pushing it out till its nearly empty, or does it stop fairly quickly?

#11 subGSR

subGSR

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 240 posts
  • waikaia southland NZ

Posted 01 July 2005 - 03:06 AM

The water raises up and overflows and then goes down again it doesn't continuously flow over. The thermostat has been removed and the water pump is working. It just seems to build up pressure , overflow and then go down again. I am stumped.

Strange. Usually a head/HG prob will make the water bubble.

So, if I understand correctly, as soon as you start the engine, the coolant flows out of the rad cap?
Will it just keep pushing it out till its nearly empty, or does it stop fairly quickly?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users