Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The cable on my 93 legacy seems to be about 1/4" to short. the latch just barely catches and every once and awhile it releases. Thanks god for safty latches!

Is there an ajustment some where that I don't see? Do do I just do a little modifying?

Thanks

Rob

Didn't find any adjustment at either end, so Who ever owned the car before my must have lost something. The cable looks new. I did a little modifying to make it think it was the right length. So all is good now!

Sorry! Just had a fresh look and there seems indeed to be no adjustment.

I had to replace one a few years back and I thought i remembered having to tighten a screw on the cable like you do with a bicycle brake cable. Maybe that was on the old Loyale or maybe on my bicycle...

Again sorry if i misled anyone.

I did a little modifying to make it think it was the right length. So all is good now!

What exactly did you do? Just curious.

Simple, It will take longer for me to type this, then it took for the "modification"!I removed the handle from under the dash. I then removed the cable from the handle. Then, you know the groove in the cable sheath that keeps the cable located in the handle? Well reinstall the cable with groove ahead of the retaining slot in the handle. Then I took some stainless safetywire and twisted it around the groove in the cable, then around the back of the handle, so when you operate the handle it doesn't pull the cable liner forward. The kids out driving the car or I would try to take a picture. Will try to post one later, if I can figure it out! I think what happened is somehow the liner got stretched which has the same affect as the cable getting shorter.