Ultimate Subaru Message Board

When installing a new timing belt, you run it around the crank, and over to the drivers side cam sprockets. After the belt is completely on, all the slack is between the crank and the intake sprocket on the drivers side. All teeth counted, everything is correct. When you put tension on the belt, it removes this slack, and pulls both intake and exhaust sprockets out of alignment. I've counted teeth 10 times, rerouted it 6 times, and the result is the same. As soon as tension is applied, it pulls that side out of whack. Any ideas?

Hi,

That's odd, it shouldn't happen. When you install the belt, are you making sure that you have taken all the slack out between the various sprockets? It sounds like you are leaving perhaps a tooth or two of slack. If the belt is run around snugly (I apply tension by hand as I do so), it all works correctly.

If the dots on the belt are lined up exactly with the marks on the sprockets, there should be no slip, by definition. I would re-check the placement of these indicators. When the tensioner is released, have you confirmed that the dots no longer line up? Is that what you mean by misalignment?

Regards,

Adnan

When I install the belt, the first mark is dotted lines. This goes on the crank at the timing mark. From there it goes to the upper sprocket on the drivers side. The next line lines up with the mark on the upper sprocket. Once you do this, there is still slack. If I count teeth, it is the correct number, (51 I think).Continuing around all sprockets everything goes on, and there is no slack between any other pulleys, All tooth counts work out fine. Install the tensioner, the slack is removed from the crank to the first sprocket, and both sprockets on that side move out of position.

Hi,

I think I know what's happening - you are installing the belt the wrong way around, that is, from the crank it should go over the passenger side sprockets. The slack should be between the first sprocket you go over (the crank) and the last (the driver's side cam).

If I have understood you correctly, you are having no slack in the region where the tensioner sits and that will most definitely cause what you are describing. I hope I haven't misunderstood your description.

Regards,

Adnan