Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'93 Impreza with EA Dual Range Tranny

Rallywagon

Haven't done it yet...want input. (Searched the forums and couldn't find this exact swap idea.)

I have a chance to get a '93 AWD 5MT Impreza wagon with a wasted center diff. It has an excellent EJ18 in it. I already own 2 EA81 cars with 4 speed D/R trannies, but the bodies are completely rusted....

What are your thoughts on putting an EA81 dual range tranny into a '93 Impreza (I could find an EA82 5 spd dual range too, if that would be better)

- differential gear ratio of a '93 Impreza 5MT AWD with EJ18? I could swap in an old rear diff if needed?

- how would the older tranny fit into the Impreza body? I would want a lift on the Impreza too.

- gear ratios of older tranny compared with the '93 AWD 5MT? Higher the ratios the better..the goal is slow offroading.

- other pluses or minuses or roadblocks?

Thanks for any thoughts!

Unfortunately, the last D/R's in the US were about 1989 models.

Do you know if the D/R Impreza trannies on your side of the pond locked the rear diff while in low range...or was it always the use of the viscous center diff?

No, although i was under the impression that they worked the same as the ea series ones: front wheel drive, or hi/low 4wd with no center diff.

• 5 years later...