Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

5speed d/r swap question....

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Beegeer

Beegeer

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • B-HAM

Posted 05 August 2005 - 11:18 PM

I have an 83 ea81 with 4spd. d/r, and want to swap in a 5spd. d/r. I have read though all the threads, seems straight forward.

Here is my question: I have a trans, but need the flywheel, clutch, pressure plate and driveline from an ea82. Will a GL-10 with a high range/push button work as a donor for those parts or do I need to take them from a ea82 with a d/r?:confused:

#2 Beegeer

Beegeer

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • B-HAM

Posted 06 August 2005 - 09:10 AM

bump :D

#3 northguy

northguy

O.C.A.L. Life Member

• Members
  • 4,352 posts
  • Chugiak, AK

Posted 06 August 2005 - 10:10 AM

I don't want to seem like Daddy Warbucks, but I'd put in a new clutch set up while you're at it instead of something used. There's no sense in having to take it all back apart a few thousand miles from now. As to flywheel, I can't give you a definitive answer, but you could have the old one turned down also.

#4 Beegeer

Beegeer

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • B-HAM

Posted 06 August 2005 - 10:31 AM

I don't want to seem like Daddy Warbucks, but I'd put in a new clutch set up while you're at it instead of something used. There's no sense in having to take it all back apart a few thousand miles from now. As to flywheel, I can't give you a definitive answer, but you could have the old one turned down also.

Good call on the clutch...

So are you saying that I can turn down my ea81 flywheel? And use a ea81 clutch (new) and ea81 pressure plate??

#5 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,611 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 06 August 2005 - 10:57 AM

all ea82 flywheel clutch setups are the same for 5spd 4wd. so a pushbutton 5spd clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, and driveshaft(you will need a driveshaft) will all fit the same

#6 northguy

northguy

O.C.A.L. Life Member

• Members
  • 4,352 posts
  • Chugiak, AK

Posted 06 August 2005 - 07:39 PM

No, the clutch and pressure plate need to match the tranny, but the flywheel can be turned down to ea82 specs.

Good call on the clutch...

So are you saying that I can turn down my ea81 flywheel? And use a ea81 clutch (new) and ea81 pressure plate??

#7 bratsrus1

bratsrus1

Race car

• Members
  • 1,293 posts
  • Selah Washington

Posted 06 August 2005 - 08:36 PM

Hey Beegeer This is Jerry, if you have the 8 and 7/8 clutch on your subie now then all you need is the clutch disc the disc comes from the 86 5 speed it has a round center hub with 6 springs in it that will fit your EA81 flywheel and pressure plate. You don't need the EA82 flywheel. If you have the small flywheel then find you the large one, if you have any more questions call me 1-509-952-2855 Thanks Jerry

#8 Beegeer

Beegeer

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • B-HAM

Posted 07 August 2005 - 10:33 AM

So it looks like there are multiple options to get where I want to go. I have a line on a turbo gl-10 ($100). My reasoning to get this car is the rear disc brakes and coil over shocks. If the flywheel, pressure plate & drive line will swap over for my 5-speed conversion that would be ideal.

Sounds like it will???? :-\ Or maybe I just need a driveline and and new ea82 clutch. I do have the 8 7/8 flywheel...

Thanks for help...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users