Ultimate Subaru Message Board

89 XT6 Gas Questions. Pump Etc. Fun pics!

Well here's the engine in my 1989 Xt6 Full-time 4wd w/ Diff Lock w/ 101k miles on it that I got for $420 dollars from a U-Pull.

ER27.thumb.jpg

According to Carfax, the odometer, and the tags.. this car hasn't been driving in 6 years... Problem: the fuel pump is dead. Also needs a tune-up and tires. So I set this up with a fuel pump from an EA82:

FuelSpray.thumb.jpg

The old fuel filter is in that setup, you just can't see it. Anyway, I got thirsty so I decied to drink some it:

ThirstBuster.thumb.jpg

EWWWW Not Really!!! Decided it would be a good idea to use a 5 gallon bucket.. not knowing how much was in her...:

NastyGas.thumb.jpg

There ended up being about two and a half gallons of this:

DirtyGas.thumb.jpg

Is that even gas? Didn't smell like it. Terpeuntine?(sp?) Anyway.. After I got all the old gas out of the tank I went and got a gallon of new 91 octane... and made this setup with the same stuff:

Purge.thumb.jpg

After I ran the gas through the lines about 3 times the fuel filter was clogged.. so I reversed the lines and sucked clean gas through the pump and pushed a ton of GUNK out of the filter into an empty bucket.. put the lines back the "right" way and ran the "clean" gas through 3 more times. Anyway.. I know everything I need to get her running again.. I just had a couple quick questions... First.. would the ea82 fuel pump even supply enough fuel for the ER27?.. it seemed like it pumped pretty damn good to me... I'm probably gonna try it anyway and see if it seems like it's starved for fuel or not... and I was hoping someone could help me out with a picture or diagram of this area:

fuelroute.thumb.jpg

So that I know how to route my fuel lines properly when I put it back how it goes. Thanks for reading the long post.. I hope you enjoyed my little fuel "purging" journey. Can't wait to drive this baby!