Ultimate Subaru Message Board

check engine 4th cylinder misfire

I am currently "on vacation" with the 96 OBW when this came up. Had the code pulled & was told:

1. probably wires or the plug

B. if the "check engine" light isn't blinking it's not too crucial

III. since the vehicle is running nicely, it's probably no big thing....

I did a search but it didn't turn up specific to this CE code & I will only have access to this computer until tomorrow am... then it's a hundred & fifty mile trip home in the heat over a mountain...

any worries?

Later,

Peter

I am currently "on vacation" with the 96 OBW when this came up. Had the code pulled & was told:

1. probably wires or the plug

B. if the "check engine" light isn't blinking it's not too crucial

III. since the vehicle is running nicely, it's probably no big thing....

I did a search but it didn't turn up specific to this CE code & I will only have access to this computer until tomorrow am... then it's a hundred & fifty mile trip home in the heat over a mountain...

any worries?

Later,

Peter

I've had 2 different vehicles pop the CEL with altitude change. can't really tell you not to keep an eye on it - but if the car's running OK, mileage isn't affected, feels safe, etc. I'd be tempted to either clear the code or at least wait several 'drive cycles' and see if it goes off.

Carl

PO304? Recently change plugs or wires? Wires tight?

Just came home from my daughter's wedding... no changes to the vehicle have been made.

The wagon ran as smooth as ever coming back... over Mount Hood in the heat of the day...NO PROBLEMS, hesitations or lack of power.

I have to ORDER $80 plug wires (Beck-Arnley) for this thing & will change the plugs (they'll be NGK) at the same time. I will disconnect the battery & hope the code disappears after the change is made.

Later,

Peter

Hate to be the bearer of potentially bad news, but mine did the same thing, same code that is, in my former 97 Outback. Did the plugs, wires, even the injectors. Turned out it was a burnt exhaust valve that exhausted my bank account for around 1600 bucks. The car drove for months on the bad valve, which eventually got bad enough to have to fix. A compression test will tell you if it's bad. Those stage I engines are known for that too, I'm told.

well, I figured I'd do the Seafoam treatment while waiting to get the wires & plugs.... a can in the gas tank & while I had my wife keep the engine going as I removed the vacuum line from the brake booster, she noticed the CEL is no longer lit....

Let's hear it for the SEAFOAM magical mystery trip!!!

(so glad it doesn't seem to be serious shtufft)

Later,

Peter