Ultimate Subaru Message Board

FWD auto to 4WD auto

Slatts

I just bought a 84 GL-10 FWD auto with digi-dash and every option. The digi-dash is intermittent, but otherwise the car is in great shape, and runs strong. I have the opportunity to buy a 4WD auto tranny 84 DL with analog dash. The DL runs great, but the body is shot.

I have did a few searches but can't seem to find the answer to my questions, so here goes.

Would the rear suspension from the GL-10 work with the 4WD hubs? Are the 4WD rear hubs and FWD rear hubs the same? Are the front hubs/axels the same? Is there a rear subframe that needs swapped? I have seen a reference to drilling four holes, what are they for?

Is there any wiring associated with the swap? Is there a TCU or just a couple of solenoids that engage when pushing the 4WD buttom?

Thank for any help or link you can provide.

this will be very general since i don't know those models at all.

FWD and AWD will both have a TCU. you would need the wiring harness with the AWD trans as it has additional solenoids the FWD doesn't have and i doubt they are hanging there loose.

you will need the driveshaft, rear axles and complete hub assemblies. the cv axles goes through the hub in the AWD. there's a rear crossmember to support the rear differential. you'll need that as well.

both of these cars are 3spd autos. this is a rare model are they mpfi or carbureted. you found yourself a good score

the 4wd tranny will bolt on exactly the same, same torque converter, bolt pattern and mounts, shifter. you will want the button and handle from the 4wd handle and may have to make a wire for the switch

the entire rear suspension will have to be swapped out, as the main portion of the assembly has the differential mount. other than that, the trailing arms(hubs) and diff will have to be swapped over, along with axles

you will have to swap the gas tank as well becuse it has an indentation for the rear diff

once you get the rear end in the driveshaft will go between

both of these cars are 3spd autos. this is a rare model are they mpfi or carbureted. you found yourself a good score

the 4wd tranny will bolt on exactly the same, same torque converter, bolt pattern and mounts, shifter. you will want the button and handle from the 4wd handle and may have to make a wire for the switch

the entire rear suspension will have to be swapped out, as the main portion of the assembly has the differential mount. other than that, the trailing arms(hubs) and diff will have to be swapped over, along with axles

you will have to swap the gas tank as well becuse it has an indentation for the rear diff

once you get the rear end in the driveshaft will go between

One thing to add..

No TCU on the old 3ATs

Thanks guys.

I pretty much figured it would be the same as an Impreza swap, which it looks like it is except for the suspension. I think I will just stick with 2wd for commuting anyway.

Both cars are carb. The GL-10 has all the options, power everything, 1 owner, 141,000km, no visible rust on the body. The digi dash is the only blemish, but seems to work more than not. The DL body is shot, but runs strong. I am probably going to take the DL apart and keep it as spares.