Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Stereo and Speaker Install - 93 Impreza

*I know this is a long post. Plese forgive me.*

Well, I've decided to upgrade my audio system in my Subie. The car had one rear speaker blown when I got it a little over a year and a half ago, and it blew the other rear one last month. The driver's front speaker rattels insanely, so for all practical purposes, I've got one good speaker and the stock radio.

So I bought a Pioneer CD player w/ 4 speakers combo deal from Wal-Mart for 98 bucks. It doesn't look cheap (160 Watt total), so it seems to me that Pioneer boxed together a retired HU and some speakers to get rid of them and sold it for cheap. It has a Pioneer DEH-6 head unit and two pairs of TS164P 6.5 inch speakers.

I ordered a wiring harness adapter and a universal (Mistubish, VW, Subaru) DIN pocket kit off the internet and am currently waiting on UPS to deliver it (not 'till Tuesday). I wanted to buy all my stuff from Wally World, but they didn't have the harness or DIN pocket for my Subie. (and even if they did, I couldn't have found it:banghead:. They've got the whole store here turned upside-down for remodeling. Yipee!) :rolleyes:

I am a DIY mechanic and have put stereos in other cars before, but never a Subie.

The speakers should be a breeze. Getting the front door panels off probably won't be fun, but I can handle that. The only thing I'm worried about is the HU. The wiring should not be a problem with the harness adapter, but I don't know much about the actual install.So I have three main questions:

1.) How do I remove the stock radio?

2.) How do I put the new unit in?

3.) Which speaker wire is positive/negative?

Instructions and pointers would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

if its similar to my 96 legacy, this is what i did.

To remove the factory deck, you ahve to remove four screws. Two that you can access when you open the cup holders and two that you'll need a small stubby screwdriver when you take out the ashtray or in my 96's case, the storage compartment. That should allow you to work out the trim that covers the factory radio and storage compartmnmet beneth it. I believe the stock radio was held in by six screws. Four on the brackets corners and two in the middle about half way back. (I never got these two back in and if you can't get them in, don't worry about it, its more than stable with just the four)

Once you get them all out, you should be able to pull the radio and storage out. disconnect the wires (intenna and power/speaker harness). Once its out, you'll notice four screws holding the radio in place, two on each side. remove those and the radio should come out. Your new radio should fit right in here and bolt up to those four screws. You'll have to remove any trim ring on the front of the radio, if there is one, it shuld just click off with little effort. For the wiring, you'll need a harness (I don't recomend cutting the factory harness and splicing it into the new radio. I've done it, but you leave yourself stuff if you want to put the old radio back in. fort $15, the harness is well worth it) Just match up the color coded wires on the new radio to the harness, plug it into the car and you should be ready to go.

This was one of the tightest installs I've done since it bolted right up, it looks like it belongs there. Hopefully this will apply to your 93. This was from memory so I might have missed a few details, but thats the general idea.