Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey Bru - Dive in, the water's not half bad, especially when there's all sorts of help to be had from the regulars at USMBNG. The Endwrench archive has a good article on the T-belt change for the EJ22. There is also another excellant article on doing the belt on the 2.5 but I'll have to hunt that one down if you need it. http://www.endwrench.com/pdf/engine/FtCamBeltReplaceW01.pdf It was very helpful, although there are a few tricks and tips I got from the regulars that made it go a lot quicker. I just finished doing the T-Belt on my 91 Legacy so I still remember how I did it. (That memory should last another 48 hrs or so) What year/model are you thinking of doing. I will be of limited help with anything other than a 1st generation Legacy ie the EJ22 engine.

Quick tip No. 1 - Taking off the alternator and fans helps get you some much needed room and only takes a minute.

Quick Tip No. 2 - When removing the T-belt gear on the crank DO NOT... I repeat DO NOT pry on the little tabs on the gear or break them off........they are very important (and they are verrrry tempting to pry on if you're having trouble slipping that gear off the crank.

Thanks LB from the land below you. That is the site I was thinking about but it appears my 90 Loyale has a 1.8l engine. I will search the endwrench site for anything specific to my engine. Occasionally, local dealers run a $275 US timing belt special and I am tempted although the incidental cam/oil seals etc. could make the price worth the greasy nails.

I will try and not test your memory past the 48 hr. warranty. Yep, this site is a wealth of helpful enthusiasts. Many thanks again.

I've done an EJ22 timing belt change too. Lorry, I don't see what benefit removing the alt. got you, but I do recommend the whole radiator. Takes 5 minutes, and the extra room is great!

To properly get the crank sprocket off, you're simply gonna hafta get a steering wheel puller. I didn't want to damage the sprocket or the oil pump by trying to pry it off. And those tabs are what run the crank angle sensor, if one of those is broken off, your car will either run terribly and throw a CEL, or just plain won't run at all...

If yours is the EA82, then 1) you'd have better luck in the Older Generation and 2) you have the double timing belts :banghead: I don't think it's much worse, but I'm definitely not looking forward to it when my XT is due for a timing belt change :boohoo: