Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Who else knows what a Recovery Boiler is?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 4x4mudrat

4x4mudrat

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Tumut, Australia

Posted 03 October 2005 - 02:10 AM

I'm the shift engineer at a Kraft Pulp Mill here in Tumut Australia for Visy Pulp and Paper. My job is to manage the operations and process of a Black Liquor CRF, a BFB bark boiler & turbine, a FFFF Evap set and a Recaust/Lime Kiln plant. I'm also a licenced BLRB operator/Turbine Operator/Advanced Boiler Operator (irrelevent Australian WorkCover qualification).

As there are only 2 BLRBs in Australia, with a handful of paper mills, you can appreciate my profession is pretty unique. The only time I ever get to meet other operators and engineers is through BLRBAC (which is not always condusive to open conversation).

Surely out of the several hundred Kraft Mills in the US and Canada, someone who works there is a Subaru owner who frequents this board! I'm very proud of what I do and very enthusiastic to chat about it.

#2 Dr. RX

Dr. RX

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 9,984 posts
  • Sammamish, WA

Posted 03 October 2005 - 05:08 AM

OH!!!! You meant to say "Recovery Boiler", I was wondering what a bolier was.

#3 4x4mudrat

4x4mudrat

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Tumut, Australia

Posted 03 October 2005 - 07:48 AM

My bad :o I'll fix it thanks.

#4 Turbone

Turbone

The Original Rob

• 12,105 posts
  • WA

Posted 03 October 2005 - 06:16 PM

I was once a Maintenance Electrician for a Salmon Cannery on Kodiak Is, Alaska. We used a Large boiler for the Autoclaves (3). It was my job (initiation) to clean the boiler tubes prior to the plant starting up. Now that was a fun job :rolleyes:
I would assume that a recovery boiler would be a tank that holds blowby?

#5 4x4mudrat

4x4mudrat

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Tumut, Australia

Posted 04 October 2005 - 03:12 AM

A Recovery Boiler, or Chemical Recovery Furnace (CRF) is a furnace used to reduce liquors rich in organics (such a Kraft Black Liquor, which is a caustic liquid used for cooking wood chips to make pulp) to their basic inorganic constituents by burning them.

Think an aqueous mixture NaSO4 + organics (methanols, oils, cellulose etc etc) returning as NaSO . . . which is used to produce other chemicals in the pulping process.

Ever driven past a pulp mill and gone "hot damn that stinks"? That's the Recovery Boiler . . . although ours doesn't stink!

#6 oddcomp

oddcomp

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,763 posts
  • longview ,wa

Posted 04 October 2005 - 09:29 AM

yeah i know what it is hehe
kinda cool to sit in the control room and watch the monitors show the almost liquid firestorm in those things

i used to work for a company that did industrial leak repair so i got to see all sorts of places in paper mills and oil refinery's
i'v even been inside those nice big steel drums with the tiny openings in them
that they use to make the paper with.. talk about a wierd feeling
being in those things while they are still pretty dam hot even after sitting for a day and a half
staring at the steam nozzles pointed right at your chest while your sealing a leak inside of the drum hopeing that that tiny lock you put on the lockout board will keep you from being vaporized lol

kinda wierd hunched over inside there and looking out and your shoulders don't fit through the hole unles you go thru it like you where diving into a pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users