Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

my carbed 87 gl wagon wont start

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BlindSight

BlindSight

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 653 posts
  • Denton

Posted 10 October 2005 - 11:43 PM

So it will turn over, the timing belts will turn but wont fully start, tried using some starting fluid but still not kicking on, any suggestions? Doesn't seem to have anything to to with the electrical system, getting plenty of power where I should be. :( back to walking again.

#2 torxxx

torxxx

I void warranties

• Members
  • 2,914 posts
  • Fairbanks

Posted 11 October 2005 - 12:15 AM

well does it fire at all? if there is no firing at all, I'd say fuel is your problem. pull off the fuel line off the carb and crank on it.. fuel should spill out of the hose while you are cranking on it

#3 stephenw22

stephenw22

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 877 posts
  • SK, Canada

Posted 11 October 2005 - 09:13 AM

I always use the combustion triangle - a fire needs: fuel, air, ignition source.

Air - is the car getting air to the cylinders - are both timing belts turning?

Ignition - test the coil to disty cap wire and see if sparks are being produced. check again at the plug wires to the cap, and the plug wires to the plugs. If possible, pull a couple of plugs and see if theyare actually sparking.

Fuel - dump a little gas down the carb throat. Turn the engine over and see if it runs. Check fuel pressure at the carb, or at least fuel flow. If you don't have a pressure tester, you can just take the fuel feed line from the pump and put it into a big jar or small jerry can. Crank the engine over and see if fuel is being pumped into the can.

#4 BlindSight

BlindSight

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 653 posts
  • Denton

Posted 11 October 2005 - 02:55 PM

THANKS EVERYONE!!!!!!!! Fooled around with it today, found that was getting a really weak spark so swapped the battery from my loyale(the one that got backed into), eventually figured out that the choke was sticking a little as well, but its back to running :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users