Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Swapping Parts

I just bought a 89 DL with a 5sp trans and now I found a 86 GL with a auto trans for parts. Will the front axles inter change with my 89 and will the rear end be the same as mine or will it have different gears.Also is the moter worth keeping as its carbed and my 89 is fuel injected.

I believe that because one is AT and the other is MT the axles will not swap, but if the engines are both EA-82's then the engine itself is the same underneath,although some say the compression ratio is different, and others don't. although the difference is only .5 so it won't be noticeable on the good ol' butt dyno.

I'd keep everything you have room for, i've kept stuff for years not thinking i'd need it until one day having that part has saved me from a long walk to the parts store.

the front axles will interchange. all non turbo trannies have 23 splines

turbo 5spds have 25 splines.

for automatics, all 3spds are 23 spline, turbo or non, and the 4spd full time automatic is 25 spline(turbo and xt6)

the only 25 spline non turbo tranny is the full time 5spd for the xt6

if you were to purchase new axles order them for a turbo 3spd automatic as they will have the same diameter as the 25 spline axles but will have the 23 splines. the doj cup will be interchangeable to turbo axles and xt6 axles such as to use xt6 suspensions with a dual range tranny

for gear ratios, all non turbo 5spds are 3.9. 87 and up non turbo automatics are 3.9 as well, but 86 and earlier automatics are 3.7 and turbo autos are 3.7

ALL ea82 rear axles are the same and 23 spline wether it be turbo or non and xt6 as well

the carb motor will work in the spfi configuration, the intake and distributor fit the same, but you will have to block off the egr ports on the cab heads and you will be stepping down from 9.5 compression to 9.0

as far as motors from ats and manuals the bolt pettern for the flywheel is the same so you can swap the flywheel to an auto's motor. but you will have to use the bolts original to the flywheel as the bolts for the flexplate of an at are shorter

also the rear half of the driveshaft are interchangeable should a u-joint go bad

everything else fits the same