Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cluth adj Q...lost my chiltons

Hey i've never had the reason to adjust the clutch on my '85 GL w/ an ea82 5speed (duh) until now! and i cannot locate my chilton. Anyone out there know where the adjustment screw/nut thingy is?!?!? What will i need to tweek it, and which direction do i send it? As far as i know its the original clutch set up, fly wheel/pressure plate etc.... and i want to keep it that way.

neal

Right underneath the spare tire, there is a black lever that goes into the top of the tranny/bellhousing with two black cables attached to it. One exits to the front, and goes over to the hill holder right under the brake master cylinder. The other exits to the rear, and goes in to the clutch pedal. If you tighten the nut on this one, it'll engage higher off the floor. Loosen the nut for engaging lower. I can't remember how you adjust pedal free play though.

Zeke

ok im gonna go send that nut to the left so the pedal will engage a bit lower, just one more thing though....is that nut gonna fall off if i send it too far to the left?

neal

Yeah, but you can see exactly what's going on, so you won't have this problem. There's actually two nuts -- one for adjusting it, and a smaller one to jam against the first to lock it. That's why you need the 10 and the 12mm wrench.

i dont see this second nut you speak of, is it located below the one i'm currently adjusting? im just using vice-grips so i cannot tell the mill size. maybe its located in the sleeve that runs along the clutch cable to the nut i was just spinning, thus it being located above the nut that ive been sending left.

neal

i dont see this second nut you speak of, is it located below the one i'm currently adjusting? im just using vice-grips so i cannot tell the mill size. maybe its located in the sleeve that runs along the clutch cable to the nut i was just spinning, thus it being located above the nut that ive been sending left.

neal

Nah. The two nuts should be touching each other on the same threaded end of the cable. Perhaps you're missing the smaller jam nut.

Nah. The two nuts should be touching each other on the same threaded end of the cable. Perhaps you're missing the smaller jam nut.

yeah the smaller jam nut appears to be absent, but its a done deal now i just hope the nut will stay in place without the locker.

neal