Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Push Button 4WD questions

I All,

I have a 92 Subaru Loyale, auto, push button 4WD that I want to test as the rear wheel was previously damaged.

I have the car up in the air on jack stands. I have checked all the driveshafts, axels, etc. and the rear assembly seems to be in good working order. Eveything can be moved by hand. I have also checked the electrical system and you can even hear the sylonoid engage to activate the 4WD.

QUESTION:

How come when I start it up and engage 4WD the rear wheels don't turn? Dose this type of system have to be on the ground moving forward slightly before it will engage?

T.J.

If the front wheels move, the rear ones should too. When the solenoid engages, it opens the valve that controls the fluid to the transfer clutchpack. On one end of the clutch pack is the shaft that connects to the front pinion shaft. On the other is the output to the rear.

there should be some sort of solenoid on the side. the governor shaft wont have to do with 4wd. there are several electrical connections on top of the tranny.

can you read a schematic? the haynes subaru repair manual has schematics that should cover the 4wd mechanism

Your transfer clutch might be shot too, although I would think even with that being toast, with it up in the air it should spin the rear tires a little bit?? I rebuilt one of those trannies, it was out of an 86. Those XFer clutches are a pain to do, you have to press a bearing off the shaft (which took me an entire day to find the right damn press adaptors) to get the clutch apart.

UPDATE #2

After checking all mechanical and electrical stuff I read through the Hyanes Repair Manual and say a diagram of the automatic transmission with intergrated transfer case. So... I decided to check the fluids. The transfer case was fine, but the automatic transmission was very low.

It seems that "the ex" had a quicky oil change place change the fluids and they didn't put enough transmission fluid back in.

:madder:

So... I added a almost 2 quarts of trand-fluid and gave it another go. It WORKS!!! The push button 4WD works flawlessly on the fly.

I'm a happy camper once more!

:D

It seems that "the ex" had a quicky oil change place change the fluids

Uh-oh, can't be good :banghead:

Another question from someone new to this "on-demand" pushbutton 4WD stuff...

What causes a delay in the engagement or disengagement of 4WD? I just put 4 new tires on it, so it's not difference in tire wear. And I know not to engage it in turns. Sometimes it engages immediately, sometimes it takes a few seconds, same for disengaging... I don't think the system is faulty in any way, I'm just curious what causes the delay...

TIA :D