Ultimate Subaru Message Board

fuel pump

My mechanic placed an inline fuel pump in the engine compartment of my 85 gl and had to disconnect the evap canister but I still have gas going into carb and flooding engine after driving and no start when its driven for any length of time.He disconnected evap canister because was pouring out of it.

Next issue had a rumbling loud clunking under right front after hard braking.

another issue replaced master cylinder,front pads and still no brakes.how many times do you need to bleed these things?

last issue,MAYBE ---- does anyone have access to vacuum diagrams for the EA81 85 with hitachi carb?

willing to pay.

If any help out there please I spent mucho dinero on this car and would like to actually drive it.

Only 99,000 original miles with used jap engine which runs pretty good.

thanks!!!:boohoo:

On brake bleeding... These systems are cross plumed, DS front-PS rear, PS front-DS rear

On the rummble... I would be checking the torque of the axle nut on that side, sounds like the axle nut is loose. Does it want to swerve a little when you let of the gas? If so, good sign of loose axle nut. Torque is 140 ft lb on those.

On the eccessive gas... Not really sure on that one, but something is definetly wrong there. Never seen gas come out of the evap canister, on any vehicle. Why did you have a fuel pump installed under the hood? Maybe the pump has to much pressure, should be around 3-5 pounds IIRC.

I don't have anything on the vacuum line routing, but others here have. I take it that the under hood decal is missing?!?.......

tom thanks for the reply you helped me out once before.

The mechanic put the fuel pump under the hood because he said the original was bad and was too lazy to do it right!!

oh well.

no wobbling in front that I notice but i'll check that out.

I think you are right on the fuel pressure cause all problems started after his work.

thanks again.:-\

he may have connected the wrong fuel hose to the pump. i have taken the fuel pump out from underneath, so i can hook it up to a gas can to drive the car out of the woods!

anyway, all of the vapor can can be eliminated.

there are 3 lines from the tank, one the main fuel, one the vent, and one the return.

the mechanic probably connected the vent and return wrong, causing it to flood.

is the pump to a switch, or does it come on with a key.

i'll bet the original subaru pump worked, but some relay was out!

you say your car was 85, ea81? what body style is it?(wagon, hatchback, sedan...)

tom is right about too much pressure. i had a carb motor in a turbo car, the car would start up and die, was flooding out. swapped pumps with one from a carbbed, and problems solved. i have done this for several vehicles with success.

try to find a soob pump, check behind the rear wheel to see if the original is there. the pump under the hood is probably drawing through, and the mechanic was too lazy to look.

in fact, he probably thought the pump was in the tank, so he never thought to look. shows how much he knows about soobs!

it would have been too easy to fix it right, 2 bolts and a plastic plug!