Ultimate Subaru Message Board

types of tire chains

zyewdall

Sooo. I was looking at buying tire chains, and found that there more out there than the old ladder type twist link chains that I was used to growing up.

Has anyone used the

" WHITESTAR™ DIAMOND-PATTERN TIRE CHAINS " http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/showCustom-0/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2009532/c-10101/Nty-1/p-2009532/Ntx-mode+matchallpartial/N-10101/tf-Browse/s-10101/Ntk-AllTextSearchGroup?Ntt=tire%20chains

I am getting them primarily for deep snow, not on road or mud use. Regular 4wd and good tires works fine most the time, but when churning through snow, I could use more. To be honest, these are for my truck, not my suby, because it doesn't do as well as the suby in 4wd until I get in stuff deep enough that the suby would be high centering. But I might get some for the suby too if I like them.

Are the diamond pattern ones really better than the ladder type chains? Or easier to get on? Why should I pay $178 for a set of four instead of $72 for a set of four ladder type chains.

Thanks

Zeke

The "better" chains available primarily work better on ice. If you're just going through snow, I'd buy whatever is cheapest.

On a soob, I don't know if there's room for regular chains. I carry a set of cable chains with me, and they fit just fine, but I don't know about anything else.