Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Changing my 97 Legacy headlights to the 9007 in 99 Legacy and need wiring help

My old headlights were hazed over and I wanted the newer multireflector look of the 98 and 99 Legacy. The connector is different. The old seems to be 9003 (H4) to and the new connector is 9007. The new connectors I got at autozone have 3 wires blue, black, and yellow. I thought the blue was high, yellow was low and black was common. I dont know if im wrong because the wiring in the car is weird. I have tried different combinations none of which seem to work. The problem I get is that the high beam indicator is on for hi and low. Depending one how it is wired, the fog lights sometimes come on with the hi when they should only work with low. Has anyone else done this? Got any advice? Please help!! Thanks.

My old headlights were hazed over and I wanted the newer multireflector look of the 98 and 99 Legacy. The connector is different. The old seems to be 9003 (H4) to and the new connector is 9007. The new connectors I got at autozone have 3 wires blue, black, and yellow. I thought the blue was high, yellow was low and black was common. I dont know if im wrong because the wiring in the car is weird. I have tried different combinations none of which seem to work. The problem I get is that the high beam indicator is on for hi and low. Depending one how it is wired, the fog lights sometimes come on with the hi when they should only work with low. Has anyone else done this? Got any advice? Please help!! Thanks.

Subaru has the wiring "backwards". What this means is that there's a single positive wire and two ground wires. Just get a multimeter and find out which one is which.

:rolleyes:

My old headlights were hazed over and I wanted the newer multireflector look of the 98 and 99 Legacy. .

i did not know you could do this. :banghead: so headlights from a 99 will fit my 97 OBW? Is there a big differnce in light pattern? and up to what year can you swap?

nipper

OK I got the wiring corrected. The lights work perfectly, the high beam indicator works perfectly and the fog lights work perfectly also. I'm not sure of the JDM parts only USA but you can change the lights. Mine were hazed slightly and the new ones are MUCH better. The newer lights are 2 pieces and the older lights are a single piece. The 2 piece newer lights had an extra mount which my car was equipped with. If anyone does this and needs any help or the wiring let me know. I am very happy with the new lights.

OK I got the wiring corrected. The lights work perfectly, the high beam indicator works perfectly and the fog lights work perfectly also. I'm not sure of the JDM parts only USA but you can change the lights. Mine were hazed slightly and the new ones are MUCH better. The newer lights are 2 pieces and the older lights are a single piece. The 2 piece newer lights had an extra mount which my car was equipped with. If anyone does this and needs any help or the wiring let me know. I am very happy with the new lights.

were these JDM lights?

nipper