Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Changing my 97 Legacy headlights to the 9007 in 99 Legacy and need wiring help

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 trxeslr66

trxeslr66

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • ALTOONA

Posted 18 December 2005 - 03:31 PM

My old headlights were hazed over and I wanted the newer multireflector look of the 98 and 99 Legacy. The connector is different. The old seems to be 9003 (H4) to and the new connector is 9007. The new connectors I got at autozone have 3 wires blue, black, and yellow. I thought the blue was high, yellow was low and black was common. I dont know if im wrong because the wiring in the car is weird. I have tried different combinations none of which seem to work. The problem I get is that the high beam indicator is on for hi and low. Depending one how it is wired, the fog lights sometimes come on with the hi when they should only work with low. Has anyone else done this? Got any advice? Please help!! Thanks.

#2 rcoaster

rcoaster

H6 Power!

• Members
  • 502 posts
  • Rochester, NY

Posted 18 December 2005 - 04:29 PM

My old headlights were hazed over and I wanted the newer multireflector look of the 98 and 99 Legacy. The connector is different. The old seems to be 9003 (H4) to and the new connector is 9007. The new connectors I got at autozone have 3 wires blue, black, and yellow. I thought the blue was high, yellow was low and black was common. I dont know if im wrong because the wiring in the car is weird. I have tried different combinations none of which seem to work. The problem I get is that the high beam indicator is on for hi and low. Depending one how it is wired, the fog lights sometimes come on with the hi when they should only work with low. Has anyone else done this? Got any advice? Please help!! Thanks.

Subaru has the wiring "backwards". What this means is that there's a single positive wire and two ground wires. Just get a multimeter and find out which one is which.
:rolleyes:

#3 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,624 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 18 December 2005 - 05:47 PM

My old headlights were hazed over and I wanted the newer multireflector look of the 98 and 99 Legacy. .

i did not know you could do this. :banghead: so headlights from a 99 will fit my 97 OBW? Is there a big differnce in light pattern? and up to what year can you swap?

nipper

#4 trxeslr66

trxeslr66

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • ALTOONA

Posted 19 December 2005 - 08:55 AM

OK I got the wiring corrected. The lights work perfectly, the high beam indicator works perfectly and the fog lights work perfectly also. I'm not sure of the JDM parts only USA but you can change the lights. Mine were hazed slightly and the new ones are MUCH better. The newer lights are 2 pieces and the older lights are a single piece. The 2 piece newer lights had an extra mount which my car was equipped with. If anyone does this and needs any help or the wiring let me know. I am very happy with the new lights.

#5 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,624 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 19 December 2005 - 09:28 AM

OK I got the wiring corrected. The lights work perfectly, the high beam indicator works perfectly and the fog lights work perfectly also. I'm not sure of the JDM parts only USA but you can change the lights. Mine were hazed slightly and the new ones are MUCH better. The newer lights are 2 pieces and the older lights are a single piece. The 2 piece newer lights had an extra mount which my car was equipped with. If anyone does this and needs any help or the wiring let me know. I am very happy with the new lights.

were these JDM lights?

nipper

#6 trxeslr66

trxeslr66

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • ALTOONA

Posted 22 December 2005 - 01:16 PM

NO just USA made OEM lights from a 99 GT.

#7 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,624 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 22 December 2005 - 01:37 PM

way cool .. so i can upgade my headlights :)

nipper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users