Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How to avoid air in system when changing the coolant temp sensor?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Impreza_WRX_STi

Impreza_WRX_STi

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Illinois

Posted 06 October 2003 - 09:31 PM

I plan on installing a coolant temp sensor, soon. I want to avoid getting air into the system while changing it. Is there any trickery or simple guidelines to follow?

Any knowledge or thoughts will probably help.

Max

#2 cookie

cookie

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,058 posts
  • SFO

Posted 06 October 2003 - 10:57 PM

Wouldn't hurt to bleed it later on one of these pancakes.
I used to clean the area with ether after wire brushing and prep the sender I was going to change. By prep I mean if I was going to put a line of tape or sealer on it so it would be ready to go. Many of the new ones come with a sealer on them.
why did I use ether to clean? In the old days when you started Greyhound busses you had to do it from the rear with ether.
I noticed the area where you used the ether was always clean and since then it has been in my toolbox.
Make sure you have a socket ready for both the sender you are removing and the replacement. They are not always the same size due to production changes.
Remember to have enough of the sender thread exposed to give you a good ground and swtch em.

#3 MorganM

MorganM

Do you Subaru?

• Members
  • 8,390 posts
  • TwinCities

Posted 07 October 2003 - 04:24 PM

The temp sensor in the intake manifold is one of the highest points of the coolant system. You will have to drain very little from the coolant system to swap it out with out a big mess.

My trick to bleeding the coolant system is this:

Take it slow. Be patient in letting it settle down, then add more, settle, add... Use the lower radiator hose like a hand pump. You can force out air and suck in coolant with it. Once she gets almost full you squeeze it in, pour in a bit of coolant, then let it out and watch it suck all that in. Repeat this untill it simply will not burp out any more air or suck in any more coolant. Make sure the overflow is properly filled and you shoudl be good to go. There should be a bleed valve on top of the radiator also that you can use to get the final little bit of air out. This method has worked very well for me. Ive never had to use the bleeder screws to bleed the system doing it this way.

HOpe it makes sense and helps :)

#4 lmdew

lmdew

_______

• Members
  • 3,043 posts
  • Colorado Springs

Posted 08 October 2003 - 07:04 AM

Install a coolant flush tee in the heater hose and then fill with the cap off. This speeds the filling process and lets the air out. Finish up the fill as the manual recommends.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users