Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2000 Outback leaking coolant HG?

Looks like I have cought the same leaking head gasket virus that infects many suby's. Our 2000 Outback with 94,000 miles is not overheating, but the coolant reservoir needs to be brought up to the line 2 or 3 times a week. I could not find a leak, although you can sure smell anti freeze. I replaced the upper radiator hose and put on a new cap. Tightened all the hose clamps. Still leaking somewhere.

Well, yesterday I believe I found a small leak on the driver's side just above the drive shaft. Must be a head gasket.

Before I head off to the Dealer, isn't there a recall and/or extended warranty for this? I remember I got a recall in the mail a little over a year ago where I had to take it in and they put something in the coolant. I bought the car new from this dealer. Any advice before I take it in to the dealer so I don't have to pay to get it fixed?

Thanks for your reply!

-Kev

All the ones I have seen got two new head gaskets. I did mine way before the recall and never had a warranty and Subaru paid me back for them. Please phase one engine owners don't get your hopes up. This is for phase 2 engines only.

It turns out that phase 1 engines were not actually produced by Subaru and may have been put here by space aliens. As you can imagine Subaru feels that it does not have to warranty engines produced off planet.

i would be sure it's a head gasket leak before going futher.

can you post pictures of where you see it leaking? could be other things....water pump maybe? drivers side just about the driveshaft (that's a crankshaft right)...sounds like water pump area. i'm not saying it's the water pump, but i'd sure inspect this closely before assuming it's a huge repair.

can you post a picture of where it's leaking?

I dropped it off this morning at the dealer. Not far from where I work. They just called, it is the head gasket. It will be covered under warranty.

Now, do they pull the engine to do this? If so, should I try and get the timimg belt and valves adjusted now, to save some money? 95,000 miles on the car. I am told the timimg belt/valve adjustment is about $800.00

Water pump too? Or just wait until it goes?

Thanks for the advice,

-Kev

pulling engine is up to them, i'd bet they don't since it's not absolutely necessary. but i don't know.

either way the belt is due soon, no way i'd leave that old 95,000 belt on there for any longer.

i'd verify they are replacing both gaskets and not just one, they should since the motor is all torn down anyway. suck to replace one and then the other goes out in a year....big job. pretty sure they always replace them in pairs, so you should be straight.

I just looked back at the mileage and suzam is right, if you can afford it a water pump and reseal would save you money in the end. I know that's not always possible. I had that all done on my car at 89,000 and I hope to hit 200,000 with out it coming apart again.