Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1998 outback wagon 92000 miles concerns

I own a 1998 outback. I purchased the car for my son with 72000 miles. The car has been trouble free. I had the 90000 mile service performed and replaced the timing belt and water pump. I had the work done and a local mechanic after subaru told me I had an oil leak in my head gasket and main seal. I then brought my car to a local mechanic who told me that there was no concern in regards to oil leaks. He Suggested that I simply perform the 90000 mile service and replace the timing belt and water pump.

However my main concern is HG problems in the future. I like the car but are the HGs going to fail sooner then lets say a Honda crv or Ford escape.

I also need to find a new mechanic in fairfield county Connecticut or New Haven.My old local mechanic has left is business and the new local mechanic is almost as expensive as a dealership.

Are the new subarus from 2004 on any better in regards to HG promlems

the reason you hear so much about head gaskets is because who ever has one go bad they tell all,you are not hearing about the other 50,000 that arent having problems.i think i heard the figure at 10-12 percent failure.i think the ford 3.8 v6 faliure was at 85 percent.yours might go this week and they may never go bad.i wouldnt run scared. jmho.

Normally a MY98 Phase I headgasket fails internally. Chances are if you have external leaks it could be valve cover gaskets and/or cam seals which could appear around the head. Rear seal leak is possible however, you can always fix the easy one(s) first and see if the major ones are still an issue.