Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1996 EJ25D strange issue

So, this morning...after spending yesterday cleaning it out, un freezing froze calipers, and other little things...I start up the Outback at 6am, and pull out of the spot of head off to SoG.

Then, wham. Nothing. Engine shuts off for no reason. Try restart...2.5 campression strokes, 1 dead and 1 half dead sounding. Wont refire for anything. CEL comes on. Great, sounds like it jumped timing.

I got home this evening, and fired it up just to see if it would run. Started up perfectly and idled like new sans the lifter tick its had since I did the headgaskets. WHAT FREAKIN GIVES!??!?!?!?!

BG info:

1996 Legacy Outback Wagon EJ25D 4EAT AWD 208,000 miles.

HG job done at 206,000, replaced composit HGs with MLM HGs.

NEW timing belt as of HG job. Tensioner was in excellent condition.

Thats about it. It's had its normal oil change schedule. For the last 10k miles its been on synthetic.

So, this morning...after spending yesterday cleaning it out, un freezing froze calipers, and other little things...I start up the Outback at 6am, and pull out of the spot of head off to SoG.

Then, wham. Nothing. Engine shuts off for no reason. Try restart...2.5 campression strokes, 1 dead and 1 half dead sounding. Wont refire for anything. CEL comes on. Great, sounds like it jumped timing.

I got home this evening, and fired it up just to see if it would run. Started up perfectly and idled like new sans the lifter tick its had since I did the headgaskets. WHAT FREAKIN GIVES!??!?!?!?!

BG info:

1996 Legacy Outback Wagon EJ25D 4EAT AWD 208,000 miles.

HG job done at 206,000, replaced composit HGs with MLM HGs.

NEW timing belt as of HG job. Tensioner was in excellent condition.

Thats about it. It's had its normal oil change schedule. For the last 10k miles its been on synthetic.

Maybe the tensioner isn't in as great a shape as you think it is.

Tore the front of the engine off...exposed everything...then gave her a fire up so I could stare at everything. Tensioner didnt move a MICRON.

The sound, now that the covers are off and I could get in there an listen, is DEFINATLY comming from the head on the #1 cyl. VERY loud from there.

NOTHING, not a peep, from the tensioner.

So...I'll drive it till it blows and then put that spare I have laying around in it.