Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'91 Loyale Fuel Economy

I just bought a '91 Loyale a few months ago. I am not familiar with "normal" loyale MPG, but I think mine is really low at about 17/gal highway and 15/gal in city. I am trying to think why this is. I am not good with cars, but I am trying - really. I was going to replace the fuel filter, but I am wondering if that will really make a difference. Another bit of information that might help is that this car is from Alaska and is now living in Fairbanks, AK, where the temperatures sometimes dip down to -40 F. Could this cold weather be killing my fuel economy, even with extended highway miles? Any information would be much apperciated.

Hello fellow AK subaru owner. I also have a Loyale, 1990 3sp auto and I'm getting around the same MPG. I think mines so sh*ty is because of my disty and I might have a cloged cat. One more thing, I start to get a little heavy on the gas when it starts to snow. I tend to take turns sidways a lot.

I just bought a '92 Loyale a few months ago. I am not familiar with "normal" loyale MPG, but I think mine is really low at about 17/gal highway and 15/gal in city. I am trying to think why this is. I am not good with cars, but I am trying - really. I was going to replace the fuel filter, but I am wondering if that will really make a difference. Another bit of information that might help is that this car is from Alaska and is now living in Fairbanks, AK, where the temperatures sometimes dip down to -40 F. Could this cold weather be killing my fuel economy, even with extended highway miles? Any information would be much apperciated.

I forgot cat=catalitic converter and disty=distribritor cap. Have you had a resent tune up? You know fluids, wires, plugs, filters, etc? When I bought my loyale I took it from anchorage to copper center all loaded up for some salmon fishing. It took us 4hrs but I was getting 25-30MPG there and back. The whole way there was up the Mt and down the Mt driving. I think your car is telling you it needs a tune up or lay off the gas a little bit.

Ah, so Alaskan AT Loayale's just might get bad economy, huh? That sucks.

I am afraid I do not know what a disty or a cat is. Yeah, I'm pretty new to this stuff.

Coolant ThermoSensor (CTS) and Exhaust Gas Oxygen (EGO) sensor are two likely culprits. The CTS could have the usual poor connection at its wiring harness; The EGO could just need replacing. Other possibilities are incorrect ignition timing (has to be set a certain way), general ignition/tuneup stuff, and improper/malfunctioning thermostat.

A plugged or faulty cat should have little effect on fuel economy (other than maybe making you keep your foot deepr into the throttle more of the time).