Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

- - - - -

over heating problems fixed

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 hmmmnz

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • wellington new zealand

Posted 10 October 2003 - 06:04 PM

:banana: i finally cracked it.. imanaged to kill two birds with one stone....

so so simple. ive had over heating problems from since i first got my car... i brought a new radiator added an extra fan removed the thermostat. hummed and harred as to why i was still losing water all hoses were fine.

also i had water on the passenger floor. i thought it was a leak from the window. so didnt think to much of it.. you can see where this is going....
took off the heater hose and looped it round...
joy oh joy car is running nice and cool.. no more puddle on the floor...:headbang:

#2 ccrinc

The Subaru Whisperer

• Members
  • 894 posts
  • Denver, CO

Posted 10 October 2003 - 08:21 PM

What? You didn't want to take the whole dang car, dash and all, apart to put in a new heater core?:banghead:

Hope it doesn't get cold where you are. :brow:

#3 bbbs53

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 487 posts
  • Bonners Ferry Idaho

Posted 10 October 2003 - 10:05 PM

Aw common Emily, having just done a gen 1 and a gen 2 it's just most of the car and the whole dash! Bradd:lol: LMAO!!!!

#4 the_bard

Upstate NY'er

• Members
  • 941 posts
  • Rexford, NY

Posted 10 October 2003 - 10:34 PM

Huh. I've heard that heater cores can be really really bad in vehicles, but I didn't think they'd be that bad. When it went out on my Old's Cutlass Calais, I just had to pull the center console, the trim around the radio, and there it was.

'Course, I think that (and acceleration) were the only things it had on my Subie :banana:

#5 bbbs53

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 487 posts
  • Bonners Ferry Idaho

Posted 10 October 2003 - 11:24 PM

She's correct, 2 1/2 pages in da book, Bradd:boohoo:

#6 eyesore

Rocky Mtn. Road Warrior

• Members
  • 451 posts
  • Centennial

Posted 10 October 2003 - 11:55 PM

8 hours labor was the quote I got.

#7 bbbs53

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 487 posts
  • Bonners Ferry Idaho

Posted 11 October 2003 - 01:46 PM

I would say that is about right. I removed the seats when I did mine and it made it a lot easier to get to a lot of the hard to reach bolts. Once you have the heater proper out, except for putting the hoses back on the valve, it goes pretty fast. There is an article in the fix-it forum that has a way to remove it by cutting it out. I used the opportunity to replace my dash's with coverlay covers and do some other painting and clean up on hard to get to places. I replaced the carpet, and undercoated the floor pans and put down a layer of sound deadening material. It is a royal pain in the rear, but I have to have it or the windows freeze and you can't see. Good luck, look at it as an opportunity to do several other things at the same time. It has always amused me that the running gear is bullet proff, but the rest of the car will rust or sun rot right around you. Go figure, Bradd:banghead:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users