Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Power Windows?

I have an 89 GL wagon and none of the widow switches work. I have checked the fuses and replaced the main driver side door switch with one that I know works. I have used the battery and two wires to power the widow motor and it worked. In a repair manual I have it talks about a circuit breaker under one of the front seats(which I haven't located). It seems as though there isn't any power comming to the swiches. Any Ideas? Thanks...Jesse

As much a fan of throwing parts at a problem until its fixed, you may have to do some old fashioned diagnostic work. If the fuse is good, make sure that you are getting power to the fuse, and then follow the power wire to the switches, and make sure that you are getting power to the window motors. If you are, either the replacement switch is broken, your motor(s) are shot, or your grounds may be bad, among other things.

have you checked your fusible links? - they are under the hood next to the plastic coolant bottle - are there any other devices not working?

I have heard of the wires in the door hinge area fateguing from opening/closing repeatedly breaking - check those too

bottom line - NoahDL88 is right - it's your big chance to play detective; but it shouldn't be too bad