Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Transmissions

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Alex GL-10

Alex GL-10

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 178 posts
  • Catawba

Posted 11 February 2006 - 02:04 PM

Will 5-spd d/r trans from a 4wd carbed 86 GL work for a 89 AWD turbo model?

#2 Subarian

Subarian

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,150 posts
  • Orem

Posted 11 February 2006 - 02:21 PM

It will work, but your rear end ratio is different. The turbo trans and differential have a 3.7:1 ratio and the non-turbo is 3.9:1. You would need to change the rear differential to match.

#3 Alex GL-10

Alex GL-10

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 178 posts
  • Catawba

Posted 11 February 2006 - 03:15 PM

It will work, but your rear end ratio is different. The turbo trans and differential have a 3.7:1 ratio and the non-turbo is 3.9:1. You would need to change the rear differential to match.

Do the axle splines match up ?

#4 Subarian

Subarian

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,150 posts
  • Orem

Posted 11 February 2006 - 03:22 PM

Sorry, I forgot to mention that. The splines are different, so you need those from the donor car as well.

#5 Alex GL-10

Alex GL-10

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 178 posts
  • Catawba

Posted 11 February 2006 - 03:33 PM

Sorry, I forgot to mention that. The splines are different, so you need those from the donor car as well.

What else will I need?

#6 Subarian

Subarian

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,150 posts
  • Orem

Posted 11 February 2006 - 03:40 PM

OK, I hope someone checks me on this, but here's what you should need:

The splines on the input shaft are different, so you'll need a clutch disk from a non-turbo car.

You'll need the complete shift linkage for the d/r and the trim panel for the shifter. It has the hole for the d/r shifter.

You'll need the axle shafts and a rear end with the same gear ratio.

The bellhousing, starter, flywheel, transmission crossmember, and driveshaft are the same, so yours are OK.

Sorry about the omissions in the earlier post. I forgot you were going from non-turbo to turbo.

#7 Alex GL-10

Alex GL-10

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 178 posts
  • Catawba

Posted 11 February 2006 - 03:45 PM

Ok thanks for the help.

#8 Free Range

Free Range

Chicken or the egg, hmm?

• Members
  • 215 posts
  • Missoula, MT

Posted 11 February 2006 - 04:13 PM

keep the best clutch assy, they interchange on those cars, front axles and rear diff will need to match trans, rear axles stay, any d/r shifter from those years will work. I reccomend driving nice when in 2wd, compared to awd the stress will be all on those front axles. 3.90 d/r's me like, swapped them into four cars now, tractor gears compared to the 3.70's

#9 calebz

calebz

Andys Coupe killed my cat

• Administrator
  • 7,547 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 12 February 2006 - 10:33 AM

Additional note:

The starter is not always the say between EA82 manuals and autos. it bolts up the same, but some of the autos used a long bodied starter that, when used on a manual, tends to get in the way.

#10 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,835 posts
  • WV

Posted 12 February 2006 - 12:41 PM

i know nothing of the EA82 starters, but the auto and manuals will not interchange on the XT6 probably for the same reasons you just mentioned can sometimes be an issue on EA82's.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users