Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Stepping on a ducks ass

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Megell

Megell

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 190 posts
  • Colorado

Posted 14 February 2006 - 09:43 AM

Sorry, but that's what it sounds like. 91 legacy turbo sedan. It's happened three times now and only when it's been around zero the night before. It's a real shrill squaking sound comming from behind the dashboard on the drivers side. Seems to be speed related and lasts for about a block or two and then quits and then maybe one more time for a shorter time, and then it's fine. It's very loud inside the car, I don't know if it can be heard outside or not and it's only when the car is moving.
BTY, this is my first post in a couple of years. I used to have a 90 Loyale turbo sedan and also a lifted Brat w a 92 legacy 2.2 engine/trans.
Thanks you guys and hello again.
Mike Christie

#2 ctoth

ctoth

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Perkinsville

Posted 14 February 2006 - 10:51 AM

My 95 impreza used to do the same thing. Nothing bad ever came of it, just annoying as all hell. Only did it when it was very cold out though. Lasted for about 5 min. Louder when you accelerate.

#3 SQ93

SQ93

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Midwest

Posted 14 February 2006 - 10:57 AM

I've never had that sound in my '93 Legacy L wagon (236k miles), but it still doesn't really like temperatures below 25 degrees Fahrenheit or so, even with a new strong battery. I hope you figure out whta it is and also let us know. Oh, and that has to be one of the most catchy thread titles I have seen in a long time! ;-)

#4 the_bard

the_bard

Upstate NY'er

• Gold Subscribers
  • 937 posts
  • Rexford, NY

Posted 14 February 2006 - 11:21 AM

Keep an eye on your speedometer... see if it's jumping around or dying at the same time.

My old Loyale started doing this on really cold mornings... I attributed it to a old speedo cable that was seizing up.

#5 Megell

Megell

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 190 posts
  • Colorado

Posted 14 February 2006 - 12:10 PM

Thanks for the reply guys. I just bought the car two weeks ago. It has 163K on it and was nicely surprised how nice it ran. Click starts on even the coldest morning, quiet and smooth. Everything works. I put on new tires, rear struts and r. brake pads and and changed to Mobil 1.
I actually stepped on a ducks rump roast one time and that's what the sound was like. First I looked at the speedo and all was normal. No erratic movements, and then I thought about some sort of buzzer going berserk.
But I don't have any buzzers that I've heard, only chimes. It does get louder on acceleration and then all of a sudden just goes away.
15 degrees this morning and no squaking sounds.
Doesn't seem to effect performance.
Mike

#6 cookie

cookie

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,058 posts
  • SFO

Posted 14 February 2006 - 12:16 PM

I have had heater motors that made a terrible sound until they warmed up. They would suffer for years and finally die.

#7 Megell

Megell

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 190 posts
  • Colorado

Posted 14 February 2006 - 12:27 PM

I have had heater motors that made a terrible sound until they warmed up. They would suffer for years and finally die.

Thanks, it is similar to the sound of a blower motor going bad, but much louder and "shriller" and right in front of me behind the dash cluster. I'm not sure where the blower motor is on this car but will look for it and see if it's a possibility. I will also check the speedo cable and maybe lube it with graphite and see if it makes a difference.
Mike

#8 stumpy

stumpy

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 310 posts
  • Bridal Veil

Posted 14 February 2006 - 05:03 PM

The blower motor is located on the passenger side under the glove box. Could just hit off on the control panel for it so it's not turning at all to check it. Stumpy

I'm not sure where the blower motor is on this car but will look for it and see if it's a possibility. Mike

#9 Chef

Chef

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 320 posts
  • Peterborough, Ontario

Posted 14 February 2006 - 05:31 PM

I've had the same issue, only seems to happen when temps get colder than -15°C and not consistently. Noise increases with speed. First time it happened it lasted for several minutes, but later times only for a few blocks. I attributed it to the speedo cable, especially since it was slightly bouncing while this happened.

#10 cookie

cookie

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,058 posts
  • SFO

Posted 14 February 2006 - 05:43 PM

When the needle bounces that is usually a hint. I had a Mercedes that had a relay that went nuts when it was cold and groaned. It only did it for me on holiday trips because its not that cold here, so I just lived with it.

#11 Megell

Megell

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 190 posts
  • Colorado

Posted 15 February 2006 - 09:32 AM

The blower motor is located on the passenger side under the glove box. Could just hit off on the control panel for it so it's not turning at all to check it. Stumpy

Duh!....I'll try that little "off" button solution next time it does it. Didn't think of that when it 5 degrees outside, thanks.
Mike

#12 Megell

Megell

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 190 posts
  • Colorado

Posted 15 February 2006 - 09:40 AM

Duh! I'll try the "off" button solution next time it does it. Never thought of that when it's 5 degrees outside, thanks.

It does have sort of an electronic sound, like maybe a relay gone berserk, but hopefully it's just the speedo cable.
I hope I can pull the cable from the transmission end, I don't really want to take the nice dash apart.
Thanks,
Mike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users