Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Carburetor problem

Hey guys,

My Hitachi carburetor is leaking in the front and is running down the side of the float bowl. Has a nasty black watery goop all over. The car runs great though. I guess it is time for a rebuild. The carb has never had any work done to it, so I can't complain. The problem is there are 2 rebuild kits listed for the Hitachi, so I need the number off the carb. Well, as I was cleaning the dirt off the carb to see the number, the number came off with the dirt. Must be some soft metal that it is stamped in to rub off with a rag! So now I have no idea what the number of the carb is and have no idea which rebuild kit to get. Is there another way to tell which one I will need? Any possible suggestions for a quick fix if I can't get the rebuild kit? Thanks...

1987 4WD STD Hatchback

EA-81 w/hydraulic lifters

4-speed single range 4WD

Hitachi 2BBL carb

155,000 miles

Look for a rebuild kit for an 84 model.... you probably have two listed because you are looking for the 87 model year, when EA81's and EA82's were produced side-by-side. You have a DCP series carb, and the EA82's use a DCZ series.

Any DCP series will take the same rebuild kit, so regardless of which one out of the 15 or so models you have, it will work the same.

Be very careful rebuilding them - make sure you don't lose the accelerator pump check ball (small, and plastic), and make sure you replace the float seat and needle as a set. They tend to get sticky.

As a general rule, these carbs are real bastards to work on - at least that's the reputation they have. It is deserved as they are complex for being "just a carb". Took me about 7 tries before I really got it down to where I can make one run decent. The choke system is just aweful tho, and they rarely work right. I'm not so sure they worked when they were new :rolleyes:

The issue is made worse because the rebuild kits for these are cheap junk (IMHO). I have yet to find one that I liked. The parts just scream "CHINA". That's one benefit of the Weber - at least you can get quality kits for them direct from Weber!

GD