Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1990 Loyale Wagon - check engine

Howdy All!

I have been driving subabru's for years, and this is the first time I have cam across this problem.

This problem just happened one day .. and wont go away.

When I go to start my 1990 Loyale Wgn 4WD, it starts real hard. Wont idle unless I hold it at around 4K for a while. The check engine light is on, and the car runs rough for about 5 minutes, until the check engine light goes off.

Also if the car is warm, and I got to restart it, I acts like it is flooded. I have to turn it over for a while until it finally catches. After it catches, it tries to die again. Weird problem.

Is there any way to read check engine codes on these cars?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for all the help guys. It turns out it is a code:

21 Coolant Temperature Sensor or Circuit

That is the the sensor that is in the radiator right? Do these things fail often?

Also is this a "dealer only" part .. or does my local "parts in box" place have it?

That is the the sensor that is in the radiator right? Do these things fail often?

Nope, this one is on the thermostat housing. It has a two-wire pigtail coming off of it. There is another single lead sensor that is for the dash gauge.

I've seen a couple different types of plugs on it. So... you can either make sure you get the right one, or you can cut/solder/heat shrink the old plug on the new sensor, or just cut off both connectors and solder the wires directly. Polarity doesn't matter.

Oh yea, you should also check the plug for corrosion; it could be a simple fix.

Cool, ya I called the dealer and they told me where it was, and told me it wa $200. I have no problem soldering a new connector on, just need to find one of these .. all the local parts store are quoting me $100 .. seems a bit steep.

Another quick question. If my coolant temp sensor was not working properly, would my temp guage in the car be wrong? My temp guage is working like it always was.

thanks in adavance...

Y

I measured the resistace that the sensor is putting out when cold - 800K and when warm 75K

The book says 200 ohms when cold, 25-30 ohms when warm.

Looks like I found it. Go figure, the computer was right.

Thanks for all your help guys!

billy

ps - anyone got a spare coolant temp sensor for a 1990 loyale?

• 1 month later...
Bill .. I cant find that part on there website. Can you send me a link.thanks billy

Billy-

The link is at the bottom of my post.

once you get to the 1st subaru site, go to parts lookup, plug in your make, model, year info, then when you get the parts page, instead of trying to guess "engine" or "electrical" or ?......just drop to the parts search, and type in "coolant", then wait:

With this method, I found a coolant temp sensor for $33.30 for my 90 Loyale.

https://www.1stsubaruparts.com/partscat.html