Ultimate Subaru Message Board

military type tires...

scrap487

I was looking around for those tires they used on the older military cj3 jeeps or whatever... anyways I found a site called coker that has them, no idea what shipping would be but they are either 69$ a peice for 6x16 or 82$ for a 7x15(measures 29.50 wide)... made by firestone but I'm having trouble finding them anywhere else atm...

anyways i'm wondering if anyone has any experiance with these tires cause they would be pretty darn cool on my subaru. heard they're horrible in rain but siping them makes it loads better.

Having a bit of experience with military vehicles (over 18 years so far), I have to say that this type of tire is not my favorite for off-road use. There's a reason the military moved away from this type of tire. They seem to be best at digging into whatever soft surface you're on, especially sand.

Having a bit of experience with military vehicles (over 18 years so far), I have to say that this type of tire is not my favorite for off-road use. There's a reason the military moved away from this type of tire. They seem to be best at digging into whatever soft surface you're on, especially sand.

what are they using now?

anyways heres a link to the tires I am talking about, they are differant than the ones on the titan website. for 62$ a tire its not too bad.

anyways I called around. can get a set of (4) 600x16 for 248$, about 50-60$ for shipping, or I can wait till the second week in april and not have to pay shipping(coker is coming to portland for an autoshow)

lot cheaper than even swampers for what I've heard is a pretty tough tire. dunno how much siping will cost, but with rims, mounting and balancing I will only be out about 350$, and when they wear out they're friggin cheap and I already got the rims.

the 600x16 around around 28 inches and the 700x15 are around 29.5 inches

http://www.coker.com/store/customer/home.php

firestone ndt, and also under vintage military and truck tires

700x15(roughly 29")

600x16(roughly 28")

other sizes are available(only bigger...)

they take a narrow 4.5"-6" rim, you can pickup rims w/ a 6x5.5 lug pattern that narrow pretty cheap, I know a place over in N portland that has some for 20$ a rim.