Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

cough/stumble 99 GT

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MDW25gt

MDW25gt

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 131 posts
  • Cincinnati

Posted 15 March 2006 - 06:32 PM

I have an intermittend cough/stumble off idle. Any ideas? Plugs have 30k and are the bosch 4power. Wires a year old.

Where to start??

Thanks

#2 Legacy777

Legacy777

• 12,654 posts
  • Houston, Tx

Posted 18 March 2006 - 10:35 PM

Replace the bosch plugs with ngk copper plugs.

Subarus don't like bosch plugs as much.

#3 Commuter

Commuter

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,857 posts
  • Niagara area, Ont Canada

Posted 19 March 2006 - 02:57 PM

Second the comment on the Bosch 4's.

Consider a MotorVac treatment or some sort of good combustion chamber cleaning. The Phase I 2.5L engine runs rich and has some carbon issues.

Also, have you ever changed the O2 sensor? Mine was weak (no codes) and was aggrevating the carbon issue by throwing off the fuel maps even further.

Been there twice with the "off idle stumble" on my 97 OB over the years.

Commuter

#4 MDW25gt

MDW25gt

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 131 posts
  • Cincinnati

Posted 23 March 2006 - 09:00 PM

Update: I removed the MAF and cleaned with a spray cleaner. Put it back on and have not problem since. I will probably swap out the 4 power Bosch's for NGK's eventually. For now its happy.

Thanks

#5 OB99W

OB99W

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,315 posts
  • Ithaca

Posted 24 March 2006 - 09:24 AM

Update: I removed the MAF and cleaned with a spray cleaner. Put it back on and have not problem since.

I seem to remember reading about a fairly recent "campaign" by Subaru for MAF problems on the 99s. This may not have been a "recall", so letters might not have gone out to owners. I realize that you've resolved the problem for now, but perhaps you could call a dealer or Subaru of America and ask them about this. If you do get confirmation of a campaign, please let us know here. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users