Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 92 Legacy wagon automatic AWD would tow a HEAVY Iron Dog 5X8 trailer with 15" tires/heavy pine flooring with a Kawasaki Bayou 220 ATV (400 lbs.) at 70 MPH and you didn't know it was back there. Then when I went "up" to a Honda 300 Fourtax 4x4 (527 lbs.) I could tell I was towing a trailer.

Now towing the trailer with the Honda behind the 97 Legacy Outback wagon at 70 mph is a breeze.:burnout:

IMG_0662.jpg

we have a 90 legacy , just wondering what the maximum Lbs. I can tow with it , what have you done?

forgot to mention its a 5 speed

Listed capacity is 1500 pounds. Uh huh. . . Let me see, I have pulled to date: a Mustang 5.0 on a dolly (about 1K pounds more than the weight of the Legacy), a matching (well it was an LS, not the L I have) 92 Legacy wagon, both of these over hilly terrain. I have also hualed an engine/tranny combo, a pair of engines, and a refridgerator inside ( at seperate times). I have yet to find a load she has trouble with. I got my hitch at etrailers.com, and it is a class II hitch, which is rated for 3500 lbs. I plan on adding a stronger pressure plate and clutch, and AGX struts to the rear swaybar I just scored from the matching wagon I pulled recently, so towing capacity will only increase from what I have already done.

IMO, the biggest concern is stopping whatever you are towing, not actually pulling it.

I will add a second to that. You should have seen my brake pads the first time I changed them (that reminds me, I should probably check them again. . .)