Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Weird noise when pressing down clutch on 02 Legacy GT

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cn47

cn47

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 21 October 2003 - 02:07 AM

I own a 02 Legacy GT wagon with manual transmission, and love it... but there are just few little things that I have noticed for some time but haven't taken the time to find out what is happening. The thing I would most like to know the answer to is this- when the car is fully warmed up, after being driven for maybe 20 minutes or so under normal city conditions, the clutch pedal, when pressed down makes a 'creaking' noise/feel only between about the last inch or so and the floor. It doesn't have anything to do with what gear it is in, it just seems isolated to the clutch. Happens when car has been turned off as well. It doesn't affect anything, but feels a little weird and you can hear it from outside the car if it is idling. I started thinking I should do something about this when I noticed myself trying to get home from work before the creaking started :)

If anyone knows what this might be caused by, please let me know. Thank you!!!

#2 Tiny Clark

Tiny Clark

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 807 posts
  • Germany

Posted 21 October 2003 - 03:25 AM

It could be your throwout bearing. A bad bearing will make a squealing noise just as soon as the clutch is engaged.

How many miles on it? The bearings will usually last quite a while, but that depends on factors like holding the clutch pedal in at stop lights. Maybe it wasn't greased properly at the factory.

#3 cn47

cn47

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 21 October 2003 - 03:39 AM

It has about 17,000 miles on it, however mainly city driving.

#4 ferret

ferret

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 668 posts
  • Northern NJ

Posted 21 October 2003 - 06:50 AM

This seems to affect the 01/02 models Legacy, Outback, Impreza and Forester.
The point where the clutch slave actuator contacts the clutch fork has to be greased with a lithium type grease. If you use a standard grease or wheel bearing grease, the creak WILL come back.
This is under the hood, below the air filter, on the drivers side. Push the actuator rod back into the clutch slave enough to allow you to clean the point of contact, them apply a small dab on lithium grease. Less than a 5 minutes job after you find where the clutch slave/release fork is.
Then slowly push in the clutch pedal repeatedly about 1/3 of it's travel until it fills the slave and pushes the rod out to contact the release fork again. At this point you will feel pressure once again at the pedal. I caution against 'flooring' the clutch pedal as the seals may get damaged.
Good Luck...:-)

#5 ScoobySchmitty

ScoobySchmitty

I am The Stig.

• Members
  • 475 posts
  • Kalamazoo

Posted 21 October 2003 - 08:37 AM

I know how to really fix it! install a cable clutch:brow:

ScoobySchmitty:banana:

#6 pleiades

pleiades

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 180 posts
  • NC

Posted 21 October 2003 - 08:50 AM

Two people above have hit it right on. More than likely its the grease problem. But I've also had a bad throw-out bearing make that noise on my '98.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users