Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi guys. Today after smelling some antfreeze leaking on a hot surface (HG is fine btw), i went to open (97 OBW) the hood and no good. My hood wont open. i pull the inside re;lease and nothing. It was fine last month when i had the car serviced.

How do i get the hood opened, and do i need to replace the cable?

nipper

Hi Cookie,

(side note my car stoped burning oil). i have to wait til somone comes over to give me a hand with that, but i'm not sure if that will work. The hood latch release comes all the way out with minimal resistance on it, and it feels like the hood hasnt even tried to release. It's hard to explain how i can tell, but my last sooby had the same thing and i can tell it was trying to unlatch. i'll give it a try tomorrow.

nipper

followup : freind came over, it took 5 trys to get it open, part of it was the rusty latch. Lubricated the latch. Took the grill off (well my freind did) just in case. Closed hte hood, it worked once, then the cable snaped. Guess we were both right.

nipper

Now you're up to the hard part. The cable is not too bad on the last couple of cars I've done, have not had to do it on the Subie. I suspect this will only be a challenge to your body, not your mind.

Actually a challange for my wallet. The 2nd dr visit wnet really well. A lot more work was done then i was told (eek). i am terrified to twist after the first failed surgery..... sooooo off to the mechanic.

i did check the coolant system, no air bubbles and full(yay), no burning oil (yay again) but i smell burnt antifreeze on the outsdie of the car (boo)

nipper