Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

My hood wont open

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,624 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 01 April 2006 - 01:53 PM

Hi guys. Today after smelling some antfreeze leaking on a hot surface (HG is fine btw), i went to open (97 OBW) the hood and no good. My hood wont open. i pull the inside re;lease and nothing. It was fine last month when i had the car serviced.
How do i get the hood opened, and do i need to replace the cable?

nipper

#2 cookie

cookie

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,058 posts
  • SFO

Posted 01 April 2006 - 03:04 PM

Most common trick to try is to have a friend push down and jerk it while you pull on the cable. If the cable has not come off or broken this usually does it and the cure is to lube the latch.

#3 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,624 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 01 April 2006 - 03:30 PM

Hi Cookie,
(side note my car stoped burning oil). i have to wait til somone comes over to give me a hand with that, but i'm not sure if that will work. The hood latch release comes all the way out with minimal resistance on it, and it feels like the hood hasnt even tried to release. It's hard to explain how i can tell, but my last sooby had the same thing and i can tell it was trying to unlatch. i'll give it a try tomorrow.

nipper

#4 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,624 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 01 April 2006 - 09:27 PM

followup : freind came over, it took 5 trys to get it open, part of it was the rusty latch. Lubricated the latch. Took the grill off (well my freind did) just in case. Closed hte hood, it worked once, then the cable snaped. Guess we were both right.

nipper

#5 cookie

cookie

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,058 posts
  • SFO

Posted 01 April 2006 - 10:02 PM

Now you're up to the hard part. The cable is not too bad on the last couple of cars I've done, have not had to do it on the Subie. I suspect this will only be a challenge to your body, not your mind.

#6 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,624 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 01 April 2006 - 10:21 PM

Now you're up to the hard part. The cable is not too bad on the last couple of cars I've done, have not had to do it on the Subie. I suspect this will only be a challenge to your body, not your mind.

Actually a challange for my wallet. The 2nd dr visit wnet really well. A lot more work was done then i was told (eek). i am terrified to twist after the first failed surgery..... sooooo off to the mechanic.

i did check the coolant system, no air bubbles and full(yay), no burning oil (yay again) but i smell burnt antifreeze on the outsdie of the car (boo)

nipper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users