Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Front Windshield Defroster 98 Outback

Hi, has anyone had any experience with the front defrost and where it connects to the windshield. I have reason to believe that the previous owner may have replaced it. The switch light comes on and I can hear the relay pick but there doesn't seem to be any warming of the black strip. The brand name of the windshield is Pilkington. Is this an OEM vendor? Thanks

Look in the engine compartment at the firewall in the top center. There is a 1" or so hole. If the wire is not there, the windshield was replaced with a non-heated windshield. I just had mine replaced and didn't know it was a wiper heated windshield.

The window guy said most folks never use it. Keep the windshield pigtail and then you have an extra 12V switched source in the engine compartment. Lights.....

Look in the engine compartment at the firewall in the top center. There is a 1" or so hole. If the wire is not there, the windshield was replaced with a non-heated windshield. I just had mine replaced and didn't know it was a wiper heated windshield.

The window guy said most folks never use it. Keep the windshield pigtail and then you have an extra 12V switched source in the engine compartment. Lights.....

Yes, I do have a wire in that location. Can you actually see the heated strip on the windshield?

Yes, I do have a wire in that location. Can you actually see the heated strip on the windshield?

There are two small orange dots (same color as the rear window defrost grid lines) visable thru the black ceramic coating on the inside of the base of the windshield. The one on the passenger side is approx 2 inches (stay with me here) from the left end of the passenger-side wiper blade. The dot on the driver's side is approx at the left end of the driver's side wiper blade. That's the only obvious sign (from outside the car) that the windshield is heated. BTW: original equipment windshield has the word "Lamilex" and a Lexus-like letter "L" at the lower driver's corner of the glass

The connection for the heated windshield is under your interior driver A pillar cover. Using a panel tool, carefully pop the cover off and near the bottom you will see a white plug (will have electrical tape on it). If there is a plug mounted to the A pillar and nothing plugged into it, there is not a heated windshield in your car. If there is, the wire should go down and under the dash toward the passenger side. The connection to the glass is about 12" from the edge of the dash and is not visible inside. After the windshield is set, it gets plugged in on the A pillar and then the wire is pushed down out of sight between the glass and dash.

Just as a FYI... This is not uncommon for a couple of reasons. For one, the heated windshield is more expensive. If someone is paying cash, we get asked frequently to install a non-heated to save money. The other reason just sucks. Unfortunately, there are some "not-so-honest" auto glass companies out there. They charge either the customer or insurance company for the heated windshield and then install the non-heated. A quick and easy increase in profit without the customer ever knowing. They just assume it is working. Don't ever hesitate to request to physically see the heated windshield BEFORE they start the installation. This should be done at the time of the appointment to avoid a "bait and switch".

The connection for the heated windshield is under your interior driver A pillar cover. Using a panel tool, carefully pop the cover off and near the bottom you will see a white plug (will have electrical tape on it). If there is a plug mounted to the A pillar and nothing plugged into it, there is not a heated windshield in your car. If there is, the wire should go down and under the dash toward the passenger side. The connection to the glass is about 12" from the edge of the dash and is not visible inside. After the windshield is set, it gets plugged in on the A pillar and then the wire is pushed down out of sight between the glass and dash.

Just as a FYI... This is not uncommon for a couple of reasons. For one, the heated windshield is more expensive. If someone is paying cash, we get asked frequently to install a non-heated to save money. The other reason just sucks. Unfortunately, there are some "not-so-honest" auto glass companies out there. They charge either the customer or insurance company for the heated windshield and then install the non-heated. A quick and easy increase in profit without the customer ever knowing. They just assume it is working. Don't ever hesitate to request to physically see the heated windshield BEFORE they start the installation. This should be done at the time of the appointment to avoid a "bait and switch".

I took a closer look at the windshield and in the black stripe at the bottom of the windshield I can see lines similar to that of the rear defroster. Definately the right windshield. It doesn't seem to be warming in that area when the switch is on. It may not be connected. I have had two replys which differed on the location of the connection of the windshield wiring and the relay. Could someone shed more light on the subject of where the connection is? Thanks for your replies!

If it does have the heated windshield installed, your best bet is going to be to remove the interior A pillar trim on the drivers side. The "A" pillar is the post on each side of the windshield that goes up to the roof. Once you get in to the plug, check the voltage. If you have proper voltage, the connection might be off the glass or their may be a defect in the grid.

Just for note, the glass will not become "hot" when it is running. What I would recommend you do first, just to be sure, is to lift your wipers up out of the way, turn the windshield heater on and wait 1 minute then blow on the glass to create a fog on the glass and see how quickly it goes away. If the glass is not cool, put the vehicle in the shade to cool down and then spray it with cold water and dry it. Then try to fog it.

Blow on it before and after turning the heater on to see a difference. If it is working, it should dissipate rapidly.

If it does have the heated windshield installed, your best bet is going to be to remove the interior A pillar trim on the drivers side. The "A" pillar is the post on each side of the windshield that goes up to the roof. Once you get in to the plug, check the voltage. If you have proper voltage, the connection might be off the glass or their may be a defect in the grid.

Just for note, the glass will not become "hot" when it is running. What I would recommend you do first, just to be sure, is to lift your wipers up out of the way, turn the windshield heater on and wait 1 minute then blow on the glass to create a fog on the glass and see how quickly it goes away. If the glass is not cool, put the vehicle in the shade to cool down and then spray it with cold water and dry it. Then try to fog it.

Blow on it before and after turning the heater on to see a difference. If it is working, it should dissipate rapidly.

I removed the trim from the A pillar and the only wire appears to be the antennae wire. No white connectors?? Is it possible the location varies by model year?