Ultimate Subaru Message Board

DIY Strut replacement write ups 2000-2004 Legacy?

Thanks! That helps me out a bunch, especially for the front struts. From what I see underneath my car, the rear suspension of the 2000-2004 is a lot different than the previous generation to allow a "flat" cargo area in the wagon. It's a modified shock within the coil spring...sorta looks like a MacPherson strut pro-created with a standard shock/spring. I didn't want to be the guinea pig tackling the rear...but may have to.

You can beat the book by hacksawing the small part of the bracket that holds the brake line to the strut. Then bend it out to remove the line without opening the brake system. On the new struts you cut the bracket and bend it opne to install and ben it back before installing the clip. Don't for get to touch up the area with a dab of paint to prevent rust.

You save bleeding the brakes this way. If you are doing a brake job too and plan to bleed the brakes no worries anyway.