Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A/C troubleshooting for 86 GL10 Turbo Wgn

My AC compressor never kicks in I have to jump the relay to engage it. I think it may be the pressure switches but don't know where they are. Can anyone tell me were the pressure switches are located? Or is there something else I should be looking for?

Thanks

There is a censor in the compressor it's self that tells it wheter or not there is freeon in the sys. If it dosn't sense there is enough then it will not let the cluch kick in. could be the problem. If U have the little square comp. then it is the other 2 wires coming out of the top just back from the cluch. There is another switch somwhere near the condensor/dryer, I'm not sure what it is for, but I know that if it is in the "open" possition the AC cluch will not kick on either.

Hope all that helps;)

ok, the sensor on the compressor, is usually for the high pressure kick off, the one you need to find is the one that is located on the tube that is connected to the dryer, a small silver or black coke can looking bottle, usually one line in and one line out, if that sensor goes bad, it will not let the ac kick on, if there isnt enough freon in the system, the compressor will burn up if you run it for very long with the method of jumping the wires, you really need to hook up some gauges, jump the wires, and read the pressures, if that is ok, then replace the sensor, but only jump the senor wires, that will tell you that it is the sensor causing the problem, if it doesnt kick on, then you have other problems, ac relay, ac switch, and so on, cause yeah you can hook twelve volts to the compressor directly and make the system work, but its not wise to do that. if you dont know ac systems, it might be best taking to a freind or shop to help you in that, just remember, you know the system works with the wires crossed, so dont let them talk you into a new compressor, lots of places like to do that. just ask them to do an estimate of the electrical part of the ac system.

good luck

Okay. I just converted and recharge the system w R134a so it has pressure. It even blows cold when I jump the switch. So it I'm pretty such it's the pressure switch. I just couldn't find it. Unfortunately my daughter has the car so I can't check it out until she get home again. Anyway thanks for the info you guys are a great help.