Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A Question on A Vicious Coupling

Hello

I have determined that I need to replace the Vicious Coupling in my 1998 Subaru Legacy L 5 speed AWD to eliminate my torue bind problem. I have already replaced the tires and flushed out the differentials and this is the final step in the fix.

My question is this

What should it cost me to have this done. How much is the part (VC) and how much labor does it take.

Also would it be worth my while to buy the part used?

I have already been quoted 480 dollars for the part and between 7 and 12 hours for labor which would be about 1200 dollars total (way out of my budget).

Is this the ballpark that I should be in or can I get it cheaper?

Thanks in Advance

Smitty:banana:

i didn't know the vc on the manual was something you could remove?

No It can definitely be removed.

Its bolted on to the back of the transmission. It is however not a serviceable part so when it goes, it has to go.

Gnuman is in Berkeley. Why don't you pm him and see if he has a used one or could help you install one?

Cool I just sent him a PM

Since you are in the bay also, do you have any other recommendations on good mechanics?

It would be a somewhat tough and grubby job. I think you can do it without pulling the whole tranny though.

Rumor has it that there in no need to drop the tranny. All you have to do is disconnect and drop the drive shaft, also the exhaust, then remove the old VC and bolt the new VC back on to the Transmission. (obviously a very brief description of the job)

One guy I talked to said there was some milling involved as well. Any truth to that?

The milling would be a new one on me. Sometimes you have to shim gears to get a good pattern or the same with a power take off. I can't see my Subaru dealer milling stuff when they won't even put a piston in.

Ill be sure to research the milling thing a little more. At first I figured it would bolt right on now I will have to make sure.

There are a couple of place here in the San Carlos area that work on Subarus. While they are cheaper than the dealer they are not a bargain, but do good work.

Rumor is that Berkeley and Oakland have the best deals on mechanics.

There are a couple of place here in the San Carlos area that work on Subarus. While they are cheaper than the dealer they are not a bargain, but do good work.

Rumor is that Berkeley and Oakland have the best deals on mechanics.

Its funny that you mention that. I just got a quote from Downtown Subaru to do the job for about 850.

I'm still looking to get it down to about the 600 dollar range.

Anyone know if there are special bushings and seals that come with the VC that I should mention if I start shopping Pick n Pulls?

Its funny that you mention that. I just got a quote from Downtown Subaru to do the job for about 850.

I'm still looking to get it down to about the 600 dollar range.

Anyone know if there are special bushings and seals that come with the VC that I should mention if I start shopping Pick n Pulls?

I can probably get it done in aboput that price range. Since I don't have a shop (I come to you), my overhead is lower so I only charge $40/hr. Let me look around for a good used VC in the PicknPulls around here. I replied to your PM (I just got it BTW). Give me a call.

I can probably get it done in aboput that price range. Since I don't have a shop (I come to you), my overhead is lower so I only charge $40/hr. Let me look around for a good used VC in the PicknPulls around here. I replied to your PM (I just got it BTW). Give me a call.

I just called and left you a message. I am very interested in your services.

Thanks

Smitty