Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is this possible???.Transaxle question..

I recently got my 92' Loyale 4WD automatic back from a long stay at the repair shop.The front transaxle had to be pulled & rebuilt one week after I bought the car.We found out after opening it that the gears & bearings were shot due to lack of oil.Apparently the previous owners hadn't checked the oil level very often,if ever..

Well, it's a few weeks later now & i'm not sure if it was actually lack of maintenance or if it's actually the car that's making the oil disappear!!

Here's whats going on:

I've been checking the transaxle oil often since I got the car back & it keeps losing the oil somewhere but ONLY while it's being driven..Now here's the weird part..I've been checking the transmission fluid also & it's level keeps rising higher everytime the transaxle level falls..I've even had to drain off some of the tranny fuid twice now because it was getting too high & at the same time put MORE oil in the transaxle.!!.Simply put, I think the transaxle oil is making it's way into the transmission somehow but only while it's being driven..

Is this even possible??What the hell is going on???:banghead: :boohoo:

Ok, a little lesson here. Your transmission is a transaxle because the front differential is part of the transmission, so in reading you post, what you are calling a transmission, is really a transaxle, and what you are calling a transaxle is really the front differential. It helps to know the correct terms when trying to explain things to people.

Calebz, might be on the right track, I'd take it back and ask the shop who rebuilt your transaxle. If they did rebuild it, they should have replaced that seal. If they did and it leaks, then they installed it wrong and need to replace it, at their cost.

Also, I believe the two fluids are different, with the differential fluid being heavier them the auto tranny fluid, seems to me that if there was a leak, it would be going the other way. Also, the bright red tranny fluid would start turning a dark brown as it gets deluted by the differential fluid.

Logic would dictate that the lighter fluid would flow toward the heavier. But for some reason, the diff oil ends up in the transmission when this happens. This most likely is a failure of the output shaft bearing and seal, the one that seals the shaft carrying power from the transmission to the diff. This bad bearing will eventually let the shaft start to wander- and once the shaft wanders far enough, it will LOCK the transmission and diff while driving.

I agree, you got screwed. Any half decent mechanic should have replaced that seal during a transmission rebuild. Take the car back to them at once and give them the what-for.

Running with differential oil in the transmission will damage the trans after a while, as the transmission fluid is a hydraulic fluid and must be pure in order for the trans to run properly.